Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Defender Not Updating

Hello Everyone,

I was using MS Antispyware Beta with no problems until i upgraded to Win Defender ... My senario is as follows. I have a WSUS server that all clients conect to for updates. I did this through GPO. I also made sure that WSUS downloads definition updates too.

I installed Win Defender , but for some reason not known to me it does not download def updates. I went to the Win defender site and ran the following:

Run: Msiexec /x {A5CC2A09-E9D3-49EC-923D-03874BBD4C2C}

Then i tried to update...after about two minutes it tells me that there is no new update on the site, but contrary to this it says my updates are 103 days old.

Could someone help me please...
    Chan Weng Lou
    Mozambique

Re: Windows Defender Not Updating

Download and install the latest build of Windows Defender client software (beta 2). There have been many known issues with the updates previously. I have had the problems as well until downloading the most recent build and ruining the msiexec command you referenced.

If you've already done that, I can dig a little more and see what I have saved for notes on this issue because I went through several steps to attempt to fix my issues.

Jas
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks for the followup. I have installed the latest build,but still having the same issue.

Still checking...
      Chan Weng Lou
      Mozambique

Comment

Originally posted by MVP wanna be
        Hello Everyone,

I was using MS Antispyware Beta with no problems until i upgraded to Win Defender ... My senario is as follows. I have a WSUS server that all clients conect to for updates. I did this through GPO. I also made sure that WSUS downloads definition updates too.

I installed Win Defender , but for some reason not known to me it does not download def updates. I went to the Win defender site and ran the following:

Run: Msiexec /x {A5CC2A09-E9D3-49EC-923D-03874BBD4C2C}

Then i tried to update...after about two minutes it tells me that there is no new update on the site, but contrary to this it says my updates are 103 days old.

Could someone help me please...
        If your client machine is WSUS enabled, Windows Defender will not download its updates online from the Windows Defender or Microsoft website. Windows Defender will obtain its Defender updates from whatever location is specified for Automatic Updates which can be looked at in the Control Panel. With this in mind, ensure that Windows Defender updates have been APPROVED FOR INSTALLATION in WSUS. Also ensure that on your client machine the Automatic Updates service is RUNNING (and set to automatic startup) and the BITS service may or may not be running and the startup is set to manual.

There is a Microsoft newsgroup outlining all the problems and fixes for Windows Defender. I guarantee that if you follow some of the suggestions made in that newsgroup, you'll get Windows Defender to work properly.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...s/default.mspx

Jas
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
        X