Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to get "send console message" feature available ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to get "send console message" feature available ?

i have windows 2003 server standard edition that works as DC. of course, i need to restart it occasionally to load most recent security updates&things... sending a console message to all connected users is realy nice feature, but my problem is that i can not use it. it simply does not appear where microsoft people say it should be.

i checked help in windows 2003 server, and technet page at:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window...68f351033.mspx

but both of them say the same thing.

nevertheless, right click on Shared Folders->All Tasks gives only Configure Shadow Copies ... option and that is all.

using command line option also does not work.

i also found article an http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window...e476c1033.mspx
    but the key this article points to does not exist on my computer. so i tried to enable it as they explained using Gpedit.msc, but no success. i changed settings in both local machine GPO and Default Domain Controllers Policy, but nothing has changed.

does anyone have any idea how to get send console message feature available?

thank you all

best regards
    danac

danac
    BL

Re: how to get "send console message" feature available ?

Have you tried net send <domain name> "your message to all domain users here" in a command prompt?

In order for this to work, the messenger service on each workstation must be running as well.

As a side note, be careful with net send. I've seen techs in the office play around with it and mistakenly send a very offensive message to an enterprise domain with over 2,000 users.

Jas
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Re: how to get &quot;send console message&quot; feature available ?

If you're running XP Sp2 i seem to remember the messenger service was disabled by default when SP2 came out, so that could be the problem

Although its useful, I also find it too much of a risk, if a user manages to get round it by using a program that uses the service, they can send whatever they want to every computer - not good

EDIT: sorry misunderstood, its actually that the option isnt there on the server right?
      Checked here and its there.
      Have you got Sp1 for 2003? All the MS articles about it refer to SP1 and R2 only
      Last edited by ghughes87; 3rd May 2006, 15:26.

Comment

the OS is windows 2003 server with SP1

and you are right. the option is not there.

when messenger service is started, i can receive console message sent from winXP SP2 workstation. it works.

but the problem is that there is no option to send a console message from the server.

danac
        BL

Comment

Yes, I believe that option disappeared when Windows 2000 came on the scene. It used to be a feature in srvmgr.exe but Microsoft has apparently phased it out.

That's why I recommended using net send. <-- this is the command prompt version of what you are looking for and is still fully functional.

Jas
          VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

^ No, its still in 2003, with the shared folders snap-in thats installed with the Administration Tools pack

danac are you sure you're looking in the right place? The only place options about shadow copies appear for me is in all tasks while looking at a disk, not a share

Also where are you trying to do this from?
            Within file server management on the server, for me the option isnt there
            But from my desktop machine with admin pak installed, it appears when i goto shares, sessions or open files.

If you are, make sure you have the 2003 SP1 version of the admin pak. Im not sure exactly what changes there are but it could be something to do with this?

Comment

Originally posted by ghughes87
              ^ No, its still in 2003, with the shared folders snap-in thats installed with the Administration Tools pack

Nice tip! Thanks for burying that feature on us Microsoft

Comment

thank you being interested for the topic...

well, i am looking where i successfully looked before on some other machines with the same OS.
                besides, microsoft states it is done from there as well...

as i said before, command line option also does not work the job (net send...)

and as a smart man said: "a good picture is worth a 1000 words"

i send a picture of what i get when try to send a console message from the server.

moreover, when i open this from WinXPSP2 workstation at the same place i get the option all right, and it works fine !!!

therefore i suspect i am missing something (like service or some windows components during installation...)
                Attached Files

danac
                BL

Comment

Well I've had a good look this morning, and I'm experiancing exactly the same as you

I can try on any server, of different ages and set up at different times, and send console message is not on any of them.

It's only there if I use the snap-in from an XP machine

So if its any consolation, its not just you!
                  Maybe its a problem everyone has?

Is it not feasible just to do it from your workstation then?

Comment

Look up a tool called NTHail
                    IIRC it is freeware.

Adds a nice share to net send and makes life a lot easier for admins

Tom
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by ghughes87
                      Well I've had a good look this morning, and I'm experiancing exactly the same as you

I can try on any server, of different ages and set up at different times, and send console message is not on any of them.

It's only there if I use the snap-in from an XP machine

So if its any consolation, its not just you!
                      Maybe its a problem everyone has?

Is it not feasible just to do it from your workstation then?
                      I see the "Send Console Message" option on my machines that have the Windows Server 2003 SP1 tools installed. See attachment. I did help, about in the MMC - maybe that will help you detect the version of the snapin you are using for shared folders.

Jas
                      Attached Files

Comment

that could be the reason!

i have Version 5.2.3790.1830

danac

danac
                        BL

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche
                          I see the "Send Console Message" option on my machines that have the Windows Server 2003 SP1 tools installed. See attachment. I did help, about in the MMC - maybe that will help you detect the version of the snapin you are using for shared folders.

Jas
                          From that screenshot though, it doesnt look like the server to me, looks like XP
                          The XP version of shared folders snapin ive got is the same as that, and has no problem with console mesages

On the server locally though, whether 2003 Admin Pack SP1 is installed or not, the version number is 5.2.3790.1830, same as danac, which gives me the impression its not something that is included in the server version of the snapin (?)

Comment

Guess what?

regsvr32 sendcmsg.dll

The command above will add the Send Console Message menu item to a Windows Server 2003 machine.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche
                              Guess what?

regsvr32 sendcmsg.dll

The command above will add the Send Console Message menu item to a Windows Server 2003 machine.

Bravo! I am impressed. I love it when someone knows something that's buried somewhere.

Good job!

Comment

Working...
                              X