Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• limiting pc use

greetings!

can i limit the pc use of a user to say 30 hours only. then after that he cant log-in to the domain again.

thanks

I don't think you can this using Windows' built-in tools, but there might be 3rd party tools that allow it. The default tools only allow you to set what time of the day the user can login. You need a logon time quota.

You can limit the user to 30 hours - 5 days a week for 6 hours a day during the time of day that they normally use the computer.

You can set the account to expire in 30hrs from a given time.

You can also set an automatic time out logoff in a given user's Group Policy but you can't restrict the actual hours over a given period. Even so, if the user has files open that reside on the server, it wont log them off because they'd lose data.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Look in User Details on your DC (Domain Controller)

If i remember correctly , you can limit there
      на клеточном уровне я очень занят

Comment

Originally posted by dba
        Look in User Details on your DC (Domain Controller)

If i remember correctly , you can limit there
        This only limits time of day. i.e. between 8am to 5pm can the user authenticate. You can also set the account to expire in XX hours.

Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

my point exactly

thats what was the question , how to limit use of pc
          or i misunderstood something?
          на клеточном уровне я очень занят

Comment

If you have only one DC, you can run a scheduled job that monitors the lastLogon and lastLogoff attributes and if lastLogon value is greater then lastLogoff and the difference is larger then 30 hours, disable or lock the account.
            Some additional settings will be needed to be set in GPO, like:
            - Require DC authentication to unlock the workstation
            - not sure, but maybe "Force user logoff when logon hours expire" (instead of locking/disabling the account, you can expire his logon hours)

If you have more then one DC, then you are in trouble: W2K DCs do not replicate lastLogon or lastLogoff attributes (W2K3 do, but if I remember correctly, this is another attribute).

Well... just a crazy thought...
            Guy Teverovsky
            "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

in AD you can find the session limit, that way you can limit the session the user can use. The above figure, gives you the power to controlo log on hourse and not session time.
              Best regards,
              Mostafa Itani

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by dba
                my point exactly

thats what was the question , how to limit use of pc
                or i misunderstood something?
                He wanted a way to limit the logon time to 30hrs of actual use not limit it to an interval equal to 30hrs.

Limiting logon over an interval of time, say from 8:30 to 9:00 allows for a 30min window of potential usage. If I logon for only 10min however then log out and then login again at 9:01 the account would be locked. Hence potential usage. Logging on at 9:00 for 10min, then 10:00 for 10min, then 12:00 for 10min all totalling 30min, then once account usage = X the account would be disabled.

If a time interval was used to limit my logon in the above example, it would have needed to allowed for a 3hrs 10min window to achieve 30min of usage.

I believe that is what he asked.

In the end, perhaps one of the other solutions will work.
                Andrew

Comment

yes you are right ahinson, but if you limit the log in hours from example 8 till 9, if a user has logged at 8:45 at 9 he will not be logged ouf automatically, but will continue to work normally until he logs off, he will not be able to log on again untill anytime from 8-9 next day.
                  Best regards,
                  Mostafa Itani

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by sanvour
                    yes you are right ahinson, but if you limit the log in hours from example 8 till 9, if a user has logged at 8:45 at 9 he will not be logged ouf automatically, but will continue to work normally until he logs off, he will not be able to log on again untill anytime from 8-9 next day.
                    As long as the user doesn't have files opened across the network he could force a logout.
                    Andrew

Comment

are you sure about that???
                      Best regards,
                      Mostafa Itani

Comment

Originally posted by sanvour
                        are you sure about that???
                        You can force a user to logout. In some circumstances it won't work but it is possible.
                        Andrew

Comment

Working...
                        X