Manually Synchronize Users Database in Windows 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manually Synchronize Users Database in Windows 2003

I want to know is there any utility in windows 2003 server to manually synchronize the network...?

I mean like in Windows NT 4.0 domain controllers there was an option to synchronize with other domain controllers in SERVER MANAGER. Is there any utilty to manually synchronize domain controllers database and is there any option to set timer when synchronization should occur.

I have 3 remote sites, users are authenticated from Head Office, I want to place backup domain controller at remote sites not additional child domain.
    If I places the backup domain controller will it process the User Logon request or not...? or only the Operations master server will going to process these request which is placed at Head Office.

Please reply soon...

Re: Manually Synchronize Users Database in Windows 2003

Yes, there are a few ways to accomplish this, including but not limited to:

Active Directory Sites and Services:

Replmon.exe (bundled with Windows Support Tools on the Server CD):

Repadmin.exe (bundled with Windows Support Tools on the Server CD):

I hope that helps!
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Re: Manually Synchronize Users Database in Windows 2003

>>I want to know is there any utility in windows 2003 server to manually synchronize the network...?

Sure. And Jason has already pointed you to some of the ways of doing that.

>>I mean like in Windows NT 4.0 domain controllers there was an option to synchronize with other domain controllers in SERVER MANAGER. Is there any utilty to manually synchronize domain controllers database and is there any option to set timer when synchronization should occur.

With AD, the concept of PDC/BDC is (almost) depricated. Any DC in the domain is writable and can authenticate the users without contacting the the DC with PDC Emulator FSMO.

The DCs are kept in sync by the means of automated replication - no need to manually kick the process. The replication schedule depends on the AD topology and the way you have configured the sites and subnets in the AD. You might want to do some reading about the AD topology and replication:
      http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...sgn.mspx#EFJBG

>> I have 3 remote sites, users are authenticated from Head Office, I want to place backup domain controller at remote sites not additional child domain.
      If I places the backup domain controller will it process the User Logon request or not...? or only the Operations master server will going to process these request which is placed at Head Office.

Yes, local DC will authenticate the users. Also make sure that remote site DCs are also GCs as the user authentication process has to contact a GC to add the Universal security groups to the user token.
      Guy Teverovsky
      "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Working...
      X