No announcement yet.

Need thoughts on backing up 18 servers!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need thoughts on backing up 18 servers!

Good day,

Iíve got eighteen servers which is a mixture of Windows XP, 2000, and 2003. Currently I have two Win2K servers each with an HP Storage Works 40/80GB DLT tape backup drive and one Win2K server with an HP Storage Works DAT C5683A tape backup drive. Currently I spread the load of backups across these three tape drives.

I recently installed 1TB of storage in a Win2K3 server. My thoughts are to use Veritas to backup each server to this TB drive then some how backup this TB to tape.

Iím curious of any thoughts how to accomplish backing up all servers with the minimal amount of stress and most ease of administration. Am I going in the wrong direction here? What would you do in this situation?

Thanks for any feedback!

MePH
    "All technology should be assumed guilty until proven innocent." ~David Ross Brower

CCNA, MCSE, MCSA, Security+, A+

Re: Need thoughts on backing up 18 servers!

For eighteen servers its recommanded to use Netbackup/Legato/TSM and not Backupexec.
    Also, you will need to buy a backup robot like ADIC 100 with at least two backup heads LTO2/3.

Regards,

Yuval
    Last edited by yuval14; 27th April 2006, 23:49.
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Originally posted by yuval14
      For eighteen servers its recommanded to use Netbackup/Legato/TSM and not Backupexec.
      Also, you will need to buy a backup robot like ADIC 100 with at least to backup heads LTO2/3.

Regards,

Yuval
      Was hoping to get out of buying anything, however I doubt that's going to happen. Thanks for the reply yuval14.

MePH
      "All technology should be assumed guilty until proven innocent." ~David Ross Brower

CCNA, MCSE, MCSA, Security+, A+

Comment

allthough you probably won't get out of buying new equiptment, there is something that might partialy answer your requests.

microsoft has a new product called Data Protection Manager that can collect files from multiple 2003 computer into one server (or location in your case - the storage) and from there to back them up via any program you want.

read about it at:
        http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...m/default.mspx

or via the webcast about it at:
        http://www.microsoft.com/events/Even...taSvcParams%5e
        Yaniv Feldman
        Microsoft Security Regional Director
        Microsoft Management Expert
        MCSA, MCSE, MCT

Comment

Consider building a separate network for your backup. That way any network traffic is kept off your main network and lets you work normally even when backup is running.
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Hello,

Just to summaries,
            VERITAS Backup Exec for Windows Servers is a good chose. Install the Veritas agent on all designed server.
            I aggree with ďtigerĒ regarding to a different network segment.
            It will speed up the backup process. All professional switches know VLNs. It can help you to build a network segment.
            Last edited by netxt; 25th April 2006, 12:08.
            Regards,
            Csaba Papp
            MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
            Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

I've implemented a Backup Exec solution in a similar environment. My solution was to use a SAN with a huge amount of storage and use the "back up to file" option in BE. Works pretty well. Restores go quickly also because you don't have to track down the right tape.

Comment

What is your total backup store size across the 18 servers?

Regards
                ________
                star craft replays
                Last edited by Richie; 23rd January 2011, 09:43.

Comment

Over a TB total. We do incremental backups scheduled after hours and full backups Sat. after 5 p.m. Incidentally all the backups run concurrently and most are done across T1 wan links.

Comment

Working...
                  X