Strange mapped drive problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange mapped drive problem

We have a number of users that use a database application, which requires a drive to a SQL server to be mapped. This has always been done on drive G via a login script in their GPO.

Recently we upgraded that set of machines to XP (previously 2000), and for the most part they're fine.

But theres one group of machines (all in the same area) that refuse to map drive G. Well not so much refuse, its there, and mapped, but just doesnt show up in My Computer and so the path that the application is looking for cant be found

You can unmap it, remap it, use a script to delete and map it again, all no problems, but it just does not show up.
    When you goto unmap you can see the G drive sitting there though.

Theres nothing else taking G (no USb drives or anything), no conflicting scripts trying to map the same drive. It doesnt matter what we map to G, it doesnt show

If I log on as admin the drive appears fine, same with other users (different security groups, different GPO's)

On other computers the users can get to the drive fine

Im gonna go through it today, try every different combination and try and find whats causing it, but is this a documented problem? Cant find anything on the net about it
    Last edited by ghughes87; 19th April 2006, 09:38.

Re: Strange mapped drive problem

Don't know if this will help

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;297694

Have you also tried a small batch file a user that tries to create the share

net use g: \\servername\sharename

This should hopefully show if the drive is in use.

Has the machine had a USB drive installed that MAY have used the letter g??

Comment

Will take a look at that, thanks

That command is exactly what we've been using for the script, and it adds successfully. Also a net use G: /delete unmaps the drive successfully.

The USB drive could be possible but its on a number of machines, and yesterday was their first day of use since being reimaged so I cant see it being that.

Comment

Originally posted by ghughes87
        Will take a look at that, thanks

That command is exactly what we've been using for the script, and it adds successfully. Also a net use G: /delete unmaps the drive successfully.

The USB drive could be possible but its on a number of machines, and yesterday was their first day of use since being reimaged so I cant see it being that.

What was your imaging software??

Comment

Ghost Enterprise 8.0

Ive just tried to see if I can recreate the problem on a VM (XP) and sure enough, it happens.
          However if I move the user into a different OU and create a new GPO with only the script and nothing else configured, the drive maps

But I cant see what in their main GPO could be causing it considering it works for other users in the same OU

Comment

Just out of curiosity, what happens if you use a drive other than G to map to the SQL server?
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

It works fine, I can map it to X, Y, Z, anything
              Similarly if I try anything else to G it doesnt work

Comment

Which would point to somethng reserving that drive letter.

When you imaged the software did you use a USB key in the master machine at all??

Comment

On the machines that have the mapping problem, what drives do they have?
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                  X