Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000 advancedserver reboots continuously

Hi:
    Windows 2000 adv server is rebooting continuously after doing a symantec live state recovery using restore anywhere option.
    I took an image of win 2k adv server using sym. live state recovery adv server 6.0.1.the hardware is a compaq machine.
    Then i wanted to restore the w2k Adv server on ibm x345 box using the restore any where option.
    the image gets installed and the screen flashes windows 2000 set up then license screen appears and then networking .After that it reboots and same process continues again and again.
    Has anybody used this stuff and have gone thru this kind of problem.
    I was suggested that there may be problem with terminal services and i checked and found there is no problem.
    Any ideas? please help.

Re: Windows 2000 advancedserver reboots continuously

Without using LiveState i would have to say the problem is the different hardware being used.

Comment

But the restore anywhere option of Symantec live state recovery is meant for dissimilar hardware.what i am trying to do is monving the os and associated stuff from one hardware platform to another hardware platform.
      Anil

Comment

Originally posted by Mak
        But the restore anywhere option of Symantec live state recovery is meant for dissimilar hardware.what i am trying to do is monving the os and associated stuff from one hardware platform to another hardware platform.
        Anil

It may state that it can be used for dissimilar systems but the problem lies with the way the machine is setup. From memory most major players usually have a specific HAL.dll file that will only work on that machine and from memory Compaq is one of them.

How did you setup the server?? Did you do it via smartstart, or whatever its called now??

You probably looked at this but thought i would post it anyway

https://sea.symantec.com/trialwarefo...-action_en.cfm
        Last edited by wullieb1; 4th April 2006, 15:24.

Comment

Hi Thanks for your response.
          I started the Ibm x345 machine wit h the Symantec livestaterecovery CD .
          The Cd boots into recovery mode and after doing a bunch of stuff asks for a Image file wit extension v2i,then it copies the stuff and retargets to new hardware and asks for scsi controller driver,which i provided and then reboots. After rebooting it starts with setup and licensing and networking screen then reboots and again starts with window s 2000 setup,licesing,networking...
          and reboots......

Comment

Usually move OS from one hardware to another isnt a easy step.
            I recommanded that you contact Symantec support and I'm thinking that reinstall the server will be more easy then use the Symantec tool.

Regards,

Yuval
            Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
              Ima in touch with Symantec and they gave several solutions,nothing worked.
              They say they are working on it.

Comment

Working...
              X