No announcement yet.

Access is Denied and Windows Cannot update the policy error please help URGENT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access is Denied and Windows Cannot update the policy error please help URGENT

Please help me out as i am getting strange problems.
    I installed Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition and intsalled active directory on it, i have migrated my network from Windows NT to Windows 2003 sucessfully.

The problem is when i try to edit Default Domain Policy its not allowing me e.g. if I try to disable the Password Complexity and click ok i get this message (Security Template "Windows Cannot Update the Policy") I have checked all the permissions and I login with Domain Administaratos account I tried couple of things but unfortunately i am unable to edit the policies.

Second when I try to create a new policy it says "Access is Denied" and I dont understand this how come i am getting this msg. I am an administrator and I have checked the properties-security and I have full access to that object but still i am unable to either create a new policy or edit an existing default policies.

No logs are written in the Event Viewer.

I had installed the Service Pack1 and GPMC but still my issue is not resolved error is the same.

Before installing active directory on a stand alone server I am able to change the local policies but not with Active Directory. I have only one Domain Controller.

Kindly help me out with this problem please, Its an urgent matter.

Khizar Khan

Re: Access is Denied and Windows Cannot update the policy error please help URGENT

Hi,

i have encountered a similar problem once before. it turned out that for some reason, the permissions on the SYSVOL folder were the ones who prevented me from updating/changing the GPOs....

recommand you check this one.

from your messege i understand that you tried it more then once and then it happens everytime your DCPromo a Server... is this correct ?
    Yaniv Feldman
    Microsoft Security Regional Director
    Microsoft Management Expert
    MCSA, MCSE, MCT

Comment

Re: Access is Denied and Windows Cannot update the policy error please help URGENT

A quick way to fix permission on default GPOs is to run
      Code:
      adprep /domainprep /gpprep
      From the W2K3 CD.

I would also check availability of PDC Emulator and GC
      Guy Teverovsky
      "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Thankyou both of you for replying so quickly.

I will try that command to fix the permissions and let you know.

I checked the sysvol folder and I dont see any permissions problem in there. Yes every time i install AD then i am facing this problem. God knows what the issue is i am stuck at this place now. Active Directory is running smooth and there is no problem on my network except this strange issue.

I will reset permissions on sysvol folder and then try again. what you did when you faced the similar problem?

Khizar Khan

Comment

Guys still the same problem. Problem is not resolved yet.

Comment

Please post the ipconfig /all result & check if the shares \\server\netlogon,
            \\server\sysvol was created. Please also explain how you migrate from NT to Win 2003 and check this tool:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window...209d21033.mspx

Regards,

Yuval
            Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

you can also try the command dcgpofix which also suppose the reset the default domain/domain controller GPO (depends on the parameters).
              Yaniv Feldman
              Microsoft Security Regional Director
              Microsoft Management Expert
              MCSA, MCSE, MCT

Comment

Working...
              X