Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you setup 2 domains within the same subnet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you setup 2 domains within the same subnet?

Hi guys,

I am about to install a new server which will become a new dc for a new domain. Can you have two domains within the same ip address range (subnet)?

Re: Can you setup 2 domains within the same subnet?

AFAIK, no problem

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Are you talking about having 2 Domains, each with it's own DC on the same subnet? Have I understood correctly?
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

That is exactly what I am trying to do too!!! (without success ) This is what I am trying to do:

I have this office with an existing domain I created. Now they want to have a secondary domain, but both domains will share internet, firewall, DHCP from the router. I got the new servers for the new domain set up, plug them in, now the new domain server can ping addresses from the old domain, but the old domain servers or PC's cannot ping the new servers IP!!!! So I cannot get the necessary PCs to join the new domain because they cannot see the server for the new domain. I have been working at this for several hours. the new server has DNS and Wins configured... nothing. I even tried to set up on the PC I wanted to join the new server, to setup DNS in tcpip properties to be the IP from the new server.... nothing. I tried to set up a trust relationship between the domains, it was created but cannot be verified. I am at a point that I want to jump out of the roof....

All servers are Windows2003 Enterprise, and all PCs are Windows XP Pro.

Just to try, I reseted the IP properties of the new server from static to get one from DHCP to see if it could reach DHCP, and it did not problem, and can get internet too.....

Thanks for your help

Comment

Hi microtcpip,
          few question before I start diagnosting your problem. Do both of your domain are the part of same forest?
          Is your new domain controller hosting your DNS? if not do your main DNS server has srv and ldap record for new domain controller.

What i can suggest you after going through your case is
          First try fresh computer. manual put ip, dns and gateway address on that computer. remember put your computer on same subnet as your new domain controller. You can not ping from your computer and dc due to windows firewall. If you want to check your computer connectivity first disable firewall from DC and computer and then try to ping. you can disable your windows firewall by going to control panel and then network connection and then select lan card and right click.

now try to join your new computer with your domain. you would be successful if not please let us know and we will try to find some way around.

right now I am not telling you to depend on DHCP for your new domain. As you said you have DHCP in your old domain. In order to serve this DHCP in new domain you have to authorize your dhcp. If your client can join your domain with manual ip address then we will look how to set up your DHCP.

Do not worry about domains . You can have as many domains in one subnet as you like.

Regards
          Abdullah

Comment

Originally posted by microtcpip View Post
            That is exactly what I am trying to do too!!! (without success ) but the old domain servers or PC's cannot ping the new servers IP!!!!
            Open DNS management - create DNS new zone for the new domain,
            set DC and XPs from the new domain to use the same DNS server
            add both domain suffixes to the TCP/IP settings of all machines in both domains or via domain GPO
            With best regards, Victor

Comment

Working...
            X