• Show
Clear All

• System Partition Full

Greetings Everyone,

Hope someone can give advice/solution:

I have a mail server that is running out of space:

Specs:

Windows Server 2000 SP4
    Exchange Server 2000 SP3 standard (store is on D)
    SCSI RAID 5 with two partitions
    C drive has total size of 7.8GB
    and free space of 696mb
    D drive has total size of 60.5GB
    and free space of 52.2

I have taken several steps over the past 6 months to keep the c from freezing up such as:

moving the gfi mail essential logging to d
    moving virtual memory to d
    running disk clean up weekly
    turning off automatic updates(hate to do it)

all of these steps are of course just borrowing time.

I have a few possible solutions in mind:

dismount mail store / backup d / delete the d partition / use some sort of utility to extend the system partition (partition magic??) to say aroud 30GB/ restore
    d -- will this work?? Is there a recommended utility for doing this?? Possible problem might be is there enough free space to even install the utility let alone extend the partition keeping the data intact.

or do I

use acronis or ghost to make a image of the server and during the restore increase the sys partition size.

Mark

Re: System Partition Full

Can you get rid of your client apps directory?

Comment

I don't have a client apps directory on this problem server - thanks thought.

Mark

Comment

You could delete all the Microsoft Update Uninstallation files. There in the \windows directory and start with $UninstallKBxxxxxx$. Chances are there may be a few large service pack files.

This should help clear up quite a bit more space

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

What have you got on the C drive? That partition size should be adequate. Do you have a Hibernation file that you can get rid of?
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by m80arm
            You could delete all the Microsoft Update Uninstallation files. There in the \windows directory and start with $UninstallKBxxxxxx$. Chances are there may be a few large service pack files.

This should help clear up quite a bit more space

Michael
            That sounds like an excellent idea! I'm will most likey never need to uninstall the existing updates - but will removing these uninstall files give me any grief with add/remove programs (leave entrys to updates that are deleted) or registry entries?
            Thanks for the input!!

Mark

Comment

Shouldn't do.

I had to do this at my last job as the system partition was only allocated 7Gb (Not my doing)

As you said, you will only come into problems if you try and remove the files but chances are you probably wont need to.
              Michael Armstrong
              www.m80arm.co.uk
              MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
                What have you got on the C drive? That partition size should be adequate. Do you have a Hibernation file that you can get rid of?
                Hibernation in not turned on.

The system has been around for long before my employment and has gone through a migration from NT to W2k

It currently runs exchange 2000 std, GFI mail essentials, GFI mail security,
                AD, DNS, and OWA - Thats about it. Logging has been tuned to 512kb.

Everything else I have uninstalled - there may be left over files and directories from previous apps / utils but I am not sure what exactly is safe to delete manually as it plays a critical role.

Thanks, Mark

Comment

I think you should ask for some cash to build two new servers:

1 for Exchange and the other for AD, DNS, DHCP. It's not the best setup to have exchange and AD on the same server. But obviously it depends on whether your company will allow you to do it

Michael
                  Michael Armstrong
                  www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Currently we have two DC's - the system we have been discussing and the "main" DC (AD, DNS, DHCP, and file server) - [and over 60 clients]

I recently added another server to the domain and gave it the role of print server to offload the "main" dc which was also the print server - maybe make this machine the replication partner?? - but it does not have power the exchange sys does - hmmmmm

------------------------

I work for a non-profit so funds going toward my dept are very tight and of course service is critical (exchange goes down for 5 min and the phone goes nuts). I constantly battle for upgrades and have about a 30% success rate.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                    X