linking remote locations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• linking remote locations

I have to start making offsite backup copies of certain servers in our domain.
    Our company currently has two locations with no dedicated link. I want to connect the two locations via our internet connections (T1). We have two seperate domains. domain1 and domain2. I tought I would use a member server on domain1, (which is currently also a terminal server) to link to another member server on domain2 (which is currently also a terminal server). My goal is to be able to access shared folders and map drives accross both domains, locations.

I thought the solution might be a demand dial connection between the machines set to perminant link, but I ran into a few issues. 1. I cannot access any machine except the Terminal server on each end. 2. I cannot remote in while the demand dial connection is setup. it sems like they both want to use the same port/? or somthing. I want them both to use PPTP.

It has occured to me that I may be doing a number of things that contribute to this undesirable result. Can someone please help me out?
    Thanks
    ________
    Colorado dispensary
    Last edited by meterman; 16th August 2011, 12:19.

Re: linking remote locations

All our remote sites are connected via VPN.

This is controlled via our firewalls.

Comment

I do not have a firewall with this capability here, so I am attempting to configure w2k3 to do it,
      ________
      TrannyPlaymate live
      Last edited by meterman; 16th August 2011, 12:19.

Comment

You need to put a static route in between the two external IP's otherwise you will have continued reliability issues.

Also have you thought about how you're going to encrypt the data between the two sites? If you want to use PPTP this will encrypt (I believe), but you will need a firewall that is capable of VPN.

Do you use the same ISP for both sites? If yes, then ask them to setup a tunnel between the two sites, then you can enable a domain/forest trust between domain1 and domain2.

You may be able to do it through sites and services too, but I've never actually read up on it as I always use a hardware solution.

I'll have a look around for you though, got some time on my hands and if I find anything i'll post back.

Cheers

Dean

Comment

Working...
        X