Windows server 2003 and USB keyboard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows server 2003 and USB keyboard

I have a DELL computer with no PS/2 ports. There are 4 USB ports. My mouse and Keyboard are connected to USB ports on this machine. I want to install Windows server 2003 and when I put the CD and start the machine, the installation starts and then comes the page where I have to choose whether I want to install Windows server 2003. Here is the problem because my keyboard does not work. When I press ENTER, nothing happens. When I press F3 nothing happens.

I made sure that the USB ports were activated in the BIOS.

I thought that this must be a problem with the keyboard. I switched keyboards, no luck there. I switched USB ports, still no luck.

I tried to install Windows XP. There were no problems here. The keyboard worked without any problems. So this must be a Windows 2003 problem. No help from Microsoft either.

Please help me to find an answer. I would be grateful.

Re: Windows server 2003 and USB keyboard

Is there a USB Keyboard option in the BIOS that needs to be enabled? This is in addition to the normal USB selections.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Give Dell a call.
      Looks like win 2003 doesn't have builtin in drivers to understand USB while Win XP does.

Comment

Did you find a solution to this?
        Have exactly the same problem.
        Maybe something in the direction of slipstreaming the usb keyboard driver onto the 2003 installation media?

Comment

Try enabling legacy usb support or legacy usb keyboard support in the BIOS.

Good Luck!

Comment

But I dont think he can get into the BIOS!

Catch 22!

Tom
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I'm very confused because when I installed Windows Server 2003 on Dell Poweredge 1400/1650/1750/2650/1850/2850 the USB keyboard always worked without any problems. I would contact Dell and ask them - they have a support forum on their support site. What model of Dell are you trying to use?

Tom
              For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Hi

try all the 4 USB ports that you have. i remember this kind of problem in the past.

i know that there is 1 dominating USB port. try them all.

connect to the first and try to install. connect to the second and reboot and then again install and so on
                MCSE 2000 Done
                RHCE Done

Comment

Working...
                X