No announcement yet.

Disable logon as Admin

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disable logon as Admin

First and most importantly, I want to say thank you for the info.

Somehow, Windows 2000 statied requiring a password to log on as Adminstrator. I used info found on your site to re-set the Admin password to blnak (*). The system now automatically loads the Admin settings when booting up, as opposed to the settings I had before (under user SMW). I can go to shut down, log-off Admin and log in as user "SMW" to retrieve the 'original' settings that existed before I reset the Admin password. I am hoping there is an easy way to have the system boot up to the default settings of "SMW" profile. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Have a look at the following link and see if this is what you want it to do. Your post doesn't say if you want to use a password with user SMW.

Thanks to Ahinson for the answer supplied.
    Departed: 23rd December 2015

Disable logon as admin

biggles77 - thanks for the link. Looks like it will work (I am not at my home computer right now to test it).

One question though.....the instructions tell me to make four changes to the values under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Winlogon (as specifified below), How do I access 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Winlogon' to make these changes?

Thanks again for the help

ps. although I do want SMW to be the default logon user, I have no need to use a password for SMW.

1. Set the DefaultDomainName value to the name of the domain you want to automatically log into. Of course, instead of a domain you may specify the name of the computer itself.

2. Set DefaultUserName to the user account name you want to use when logging on.

3. Add a REG_SZ named AutoAdminLogon and set its to value to 1.

4. Add a REG_SZ named DefaultPassword and set its contents to the password for the account you specified in DefaultUserName. If you leave this value blank, automatic logon will be turned off (actually, AutoAdminLogon will be set back to its default value of 0).

Changes are made through the registry editor. Click Start, Run, type regedit and click OK. Navigate to the required key and make the changes as per the instructions.

WARNING: Changing the Registry incorrectly can be dangerous. Make sure you backup the Registry BEFORE attempting any changes.
        Departed: 23rd December 2015