Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help please with a restore of win 2003 DC

Hi guys,

I am trying restore a windows 2003 DC with exchange and certificate services in a lab environment. I have aquired a lab machine with identical hardware to the live production server. I have ran a complete backup of the production server including exchange db's and system state. On my lab machine im trying to restore, I have installed win 2003 with same volumes as the production server. Do i need to patch the server to the same sp level as the production server before i restore it? or can i install from default installation sp level. I have followed microsoft's papers but when i reboot after restoring the system state and other volumes (not exchange db's at this stage) it never works out - machine reboots at win2003 screen after a reboot the server from directory services restore mode. Can someone help me in with this issue. I am using Arcserve 11.1.

Thanks guys

Paul.

PS This is the procedure i have done so far:

Partition hdds with volumes identical to live server
    install 2003 without running dcpromo and at default sp level
    Install Arcserve
    reboot server in DS mode
    restore from tape (system state / c:\ d:\ volumes) select primary restore for ad replicas
    reboot = server reboots.

Re: Need help please with a restore of win 2003 DC

system state backup contain critical elements
    system registry.boot files,system files,the COM+ class,protected files
    & some other settings depend on services have benn installed.
    surely,installing Service Packs change the registry and other
    system setting.In most cases it's effective on services running.
    on your mechine.

Comment

Thanks for your reply... So what is the proper procedure for restoring a box which is running exchange and also being a DC?

So going from your post it would make more sense to sp the lab machine to same level? Would i need to perform dcpromo ?

Paul.

Comment

cause you want to go throw this type of restore,first you need the services to be installed and available then then restore your system state backup.It will changes settings.

Comment

Working...
        X