Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Disable User Local Logon.

Good day to ya all ,

i created a user in my AD and an Mail box thats come along with it.
    this user need ONLY to be able to recive his mail while connecting throw VPN or Pluging his Laptop localy into my domain.

the problem is that that is the only thing i need him to do, log into the domain & let the his OUTLOOK retrive his mail and thats it, how can i prevent him into using his username and password to log into local computer, shared folders on the network & other places i dont want to give him access too.

i want to give to him only mail adress and the capability to retrive it.

can i block it somehow using Group Policy ?

thanks for your help.

System : SBS2000

Re: How To Disable User Local Logon.

I really don't understand what you want to achieve here.

You have created a user and an associated mailbox.

You now want said user to be unable to access your network other than for retrieving mail???

What would be the point of creating the user in the first place. By creatiing the user you automatically give them access rights to your network by the virtue of them being in the domain users group and also part of the Authenticated Users group (When they get authenticated).

As for blocking him access to share etc you would need to specifically DENY him access to them. Thus he will not get access.

Have a look at this How To Configure Security for Files and Folders on a Network (Domain) in Windows 2000

Comment

hi wullieb1 and thanks for trying to help,

im sorry i didnt post correctly what im trying to achive.

i have a user i want to give him just mail box in my company ,
      since i dont know to creat a stand alone mailbox without connecting it to a user, i created a user in my domain.

this specific user retrive his mail using a VPN Connection or arriving and pluging his computer localy in my organization.

i dont want him to use his user name and password to log into any of the computer in my organization or using RDP while he is in VPN.

I want to know how can i lock this user to logon to computers in my domain.

hope now im more clear,

p.s : thanks for the arcticle...

Comment

Dear wullieb1!
        The question is simple & it's answer is simpler. He does not want Specific users logon interactively from domain workstations.Although there are different ways for this purpose the easiest way is to create 2 different groups.add your VPN users to 'group1' and other users you woud like to access domain shares to 'group2'
        Then add 'group2' in interactive logon settings on administrative tools>domain policy.

Comment

Originally posted by S2002
          Dear wullieb1!
          The question is simple & it's answer is simpler. He does not want Specific users logon interactively from domain workstations.Although there are different ways for this purpose the easiest way is to create 2 different groups.add your VPN users to 'group1' and other users you woud like to access domain shares to 'group2'
          Then add 'group2' in interactive logon settings on administrative tools>domain policy.

And what purpose would this achieve.

Originally posted by ravx
          The OP requires that the user ONLY access computers on his domain.

OP

Will this user be using one of your machines to logon?? or will the be connecting via a non-company machine??

Comment

As I have understood
            1-He has defined users in his domain.
            2-He wants the users to access their emails.
            3-He wants users to logon only from VPN and not from workstations
            then as the instruction users could not use domain computers.but if his purpose is just to deny his VPN users from access domain share objects then he could deny objects for those users
            Last edited by S2002; 24th February 2006, 14:00.

Comment

Working...
            X