No announcement yet.

server 2003 network browsing problem

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• server 2003 network browsing problem

Hi, I am running a Windows Server 2003 computer and when I open My Network places and double click on the domain I get Microsoft Windows Network message "server is not accessible. You might not have permission to use the network resource. Contact the Administrator.....The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available." If I search for other computers I can connect and see folders, printers etc on the network fine. I checked the event viewer and there was a DhcpServer error Event 1046 The DHCP/BINL service on the local machine belonging to the windows Administrative Domain has determined that it is not authorized to start. It has stopped servicing clients. The following are some possible reasons for this. This machine is part of a directory service enterprise and is not authorised in the same domain. This machine cannot reach its directory service enterprise and it has encountered another DHCP service on the network belonging to a directory service enterprise on which the local machine is not authorized." The strange thing is the server is a standalone server and it has a fixed IP address and all the clients have static IP addresses as well. There is also a Linksys router on the network for connection to the Internet. The server does have 2 network cards in it however there is only one connected. Any ideas ????

Re: server 2003 network browsing problem

are all your machines in the same domain?
    is netbios enabled?
    how are you connecting to the other machines? do you use the ip or the name of the machine?

as for the dhcp error message, you need to authorize the server as a dhcp server. you can do that in the dhcp console by right-clicking the server and selecting "authorize" from the context menu. however, if all your clients have static ips and all other tcp/ip settings are also configured manually you do not need a dhcp server. you can simply uninstall the dhcp service or disable it.
    Yesterday we stood at the edge of the abyss. Today we are a step further...

Re: server 2003 network browsing problem

After hours of searching for an answer to your question, because I had the very same problem I called Microsoft. It turned out to be the Master Browser wasn't set to True on my domain controller. The setting can be found in the registry at: HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Browser\Parameters; you need to make sure the IsDomainMaster is set to True. Then reboot the server and everything is golden.

My problem started after upgrading to SP1.