Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• User Program Permissions

Hi,

I have a problem - I have win2k3 server and using Win Xp / 2k machines. Some of the applications the users use require write access to the c drive of their machines, however it is different locations such as c: root and program files. I have used GP for this before but have had to allow access basically to the whole disk however problems I have had where the GP would take ages to apply as it was resetting permissions on the machine each time they booted. The other option is to give them local admin rights although now they can do anything they want. I am just wondering if anybody has a solution to this or knows of a way to control app level access via gp.

Thanks

Mick

Re: User Program Permissions

not sure about GPOs.

are these apps running as services?
    if yes, you could create accounts for these apps, configure them to run under these accounts and then grant these accounts access to whatever folders.

or you still create accounts and use "run as" to run these apps. in that case you can also grant these accounts access to whatever folders.
    Yesterday we stood at the edge of the abyss. Today we are a step further...

Comment

no they are not services,

Just stupid apps that there profession requires, they just create temp files in awkward places on the machine,

How can i setup accounts for the apps to run using? is this a local thing I need to do or can it be done from the server.

Comment

read this:
        http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...rity_runas.htm

best thing would be to set up domain accounts in AD for the apps. that way the accounts can access folders on the server as well as on the client.
        if only the server or the client is accessed, you can also use local accounts on the respective machines. but domain accounts make it easier for you to administer the whole thing.
        Yesterday we stood at the edge of the abyss. Today we are a step further...

Comment

Working...
        X