printer share

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• printer share

I would like to share my printer with other members of my household...I connect through a watchguard firewall so that I can tunnel into my office like a vpn...they connect through an optional port so they can still have internet access but no access to my network. They also connect via a linksys router into my firewall...so that their internet connection can be split into many connections. My computer is a member of a domain and their computers are set for workgroups. How do I share my printer with them when we are not on the same domain/workgroup?

Thank you very much!!!

hottechie

Re: printer share

i am not sure i really understand what you mean but, aren't you on a different network (with a public ip) when you use the vpn and your family uses the home network?

check your ip when you are using the vpn and see if you can reach the home network from there. my guess is "no" as your home network probably consists of 192.168.xxx.xxx ips.
    Yesterday we stood at the edge of the abyss. Today we are a step further...

Comment

What I mean is that my computer is set up for logging onto a domain (I vpn from home into my office) and the other computers are set up on a workgroup. I want to share my printer with them, but don't know how to do it considering that fact. Does that help?

Comment

the problem is the vpn connection to the office. your computer will have a public ip and the other machines won't be able to reach it because it is secured and on a different network. your privat home machines would need to access the printer through the vpn as well.

can you set up the computer not to connect to the office but to have an ip in your home network instead? then you could share it when you are not connected through the vpn.

@ everyone: would it work if an additional NIC would be inserted into the work computer and configured with a home ip address? would that one still be accessable if the vpn is running on the other NIC? anyone ever set up something like this?
        Yesterday we stood at the edge of the abyss. Today we are a step further...

Comment

AFAIK he should also have a Private IP on his home network 192.168.xxx.yyy. The VPN IP will be in addition to this, I assume and only when he makes teh connection. The problem will probably be with browsing to find the other computers at home, since his work machine will be a memeber of the domain and teh home machines will probably belong to a workgroup called WORKGROUP or MSHOME or such like. The other problem may be that FIle and Printing is either not installed on all the workstations or is blocked by the XP Firewall. Where is the printer physically attached?
          If it's to the work computer you are going to have a security problem, as you will have to create a local user on your work computer and give everyone on your home network access to it. IE Create "PUser" in lusrmgr.msc with a strong password. Share your Printer as "PRINTER" and if you get a local address of 192.168.1.25 then all local stations would have to connect to \\192.168.1.25\PRINTER and supply the PUser with Password combination. Only do this with your work SysAdmin's approval (or (s)he''ll eat you without salt!).
          If you want to do it on a home computer, you will have to also allow FIle and Printer Sharing in the XP Firewall (make sure it is limited to the local subnet only). The problem here is you may have to allow the Guest user to get it to work smoothly and that is again a security risk, if these computers connect to the Internet.
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
          X