No announcement yet.

tape drive backup

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tape drive backup

I have a windows 2000 server SP4. I can back up to the HDD or a share on the network but i cannot get it to backup to the tape drive(DDS4). It fails to recognize the media whether it is an old or new tape.
    I tested the tape drive on another server an it worked perfectly. Is there anybody who can help?

Re: tape drive backup

Are the drivers installed correctly??

Everything in Device manager is normal. The tape drive had been working for over 6 months.
      It all started when a tape got stuck inside one day. It came out after restarting the server.
      U may have a good point though i will try reinstalling the driver.

Best thing to do.

Completely remove the drivers from device manager.

Shutdown you system.

Remove the drive and start up and shutdown 2 or 3 times.

Re-Add the drive to the server.

Re-install the drivers.

BTW What backup program are you using???

Hi wullieb1,

I tried what you suggested but with no luck.

I also tried using a different scsi cable today and what-dyu-know it is now working fine. Thanks anyway for the help. You must certainly deserve being awarded most valuable member of the month.

Cheers mate!

We would have gotten to the hardware aspect once you removed all the drivers.

Well done on fixing your problem.

Hi Dext,
              May be some problem in DDS4 tape. I think you should be try to latest backup media tape like AIT or SDLT. AIT tape provide Self cleaning mechanism. If you want slove your DDS-4 tape issue u can take feedback from by email or live support.