Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renaming users Home Directories

K, here’s a tricky one,

For some reason, the previous member of staff set up the home directory’s for users in strange format:

\\filestore101\users$\SiteName\UsersInitials

Eg. \\filestore101\users$\Site1\AQ1

In some cases there's even a site sub directory

EG. \\filestore101\users$\site1\HR\Aq1

Now this is causing a bit of a problem since i plan on migrating the data to a new file server. Now ideally, what I'd like to do is flatten the structuer (i.e. no more subdirectories in the users$ share).
    This would be simple enough if the users home directory was named after their username since i could simply flatten the strucure and run a batch file to rename the homedirectory path to \\filestoreNew\users$\%username% however the user's folders are named in a completely random manner eg \AQ1 or \AQ01

So i've got a few options, non of which are ideal when you consider i have 800 users.

option 1) Recreate new users folders using the %username% command, then copy the contents manually from the old users folder to the new folder.

option 2) flatten the structure and keep the old folder names and then rename the path to the users home directory

I was wondering if anyone has a scipt or know's a programs that will rename a user home directory based on their username or if anyone has any other solutions to my problem.

Thanks

Andy

Re: Renaming users Home Directories

Hi.
    Sorry for posting a little late....
    I've had some similar issues as you have a couple of time and
    I always end up with the following solution:
    I use the tool Hyena (from www.systemtools.com) to recreate the home dirs.

I select all users that I want to recreate the home dirs for,
    right-click, choose properties, select profile,
    add \\servername\home$\%username% to the "connect h: to " or whatever it's called.
    That's it. Then I copy all the directories manually.

Pros: You can do it for all users at once.
    Cons: You still have to copy all the data manually.
    Alternative: VBscript. but I think so get that to work You have to export usernames to text file and map the order then rename. But I think the method above are by far the easiest.

Not exactly an answer to your question but I think it's the best you'll get. (if not a VBscript guru can paste some code here for you.

Regards, Zeb.

Comment

i am having a similar problem. but with about 75 users.

in user profile, i changed the home directory path and now the client computers no longer connect to the server - everything is offline.

Comment

Originally posted by badkarma
        i am having a similar problem. but with about 75 users.

in user profile, i changed the home directory path and now the client computers no longer connect to the server - everything is offline.
        Verify the path to the user's home directory is correct with no spelling mistakes

Verify the user has both SHARE and NTFS permissions to the home directory

Verify the user has logged off and logged back on to the workstation after the home directory change was made to the user's account

Verify that nothing in a login script is disconnecting (NET USE H: /D) the user's mapped home directory.

A little better explanation of the symptoms and what exactly you're seeing would also help. Saying that everything is offline is a bit on the panic side of the human rationale.

Jas
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

you're right it does sound on the panic side and i'm not - it's on a non-production server...i can access the shares on another server, but not the home directories.

i will check out what you suggested and post up when i've got more info.

thanks!

Comment

ok, the permissions are fixed...

but since i moved the home directories, i am getting an error message on logoff -->

it is trying to synchronize offline files on a path that no longer exists. even when i use a user that has never been logged on before, it tries to synch to that same path (user profile has correct, current path)

this is what i get for trying to screw with something that worked just fine before!

Comment

ok, the permissions are fixed...

but since i moved the home directories, i am getting an error message on logoff -->

it is trying to synchronize offline files on a path that no longer exists. even when i use a user that has never been logged on before, it tries to synch to that same path (user profile has correct, current path)
              Turn off offline file synchronization on the client machine (Tools, Folder Options, Offline Files, see screenshot) or fix the path for offline file sync. on the client machine (Tools, Synchronize)

this is what i get for trying to screw with something that worked just fine before!
              Do you prefer to understand what's happening or are you just looking for a quick fix?

Computer problems take patience or you won't last.
              Attached Files
              VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
              boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
              My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche
                Do you prefer to understand what's happening or are you just looking for a quick fix?

Computer problems take patience or you won't last.

i prefer understanding - hehe that's why i was screwing around with it.

Thanks!!!!

Comment

I have a similar issue with offline files where the home directory move worked but individual offline files broke because the server no longer exists.

Out of (10) files available offline (1) is sync'd to the defunc'd server. Only way I found was to reset the csc but that effects all (10) files.

Hope this is an appropriate post, if not please advise.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X