No announcement yet.

W2k Server Service keeps shutting down!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W2k Server Service keeps shutting down!

My W2K Server SP4 e-mail/web server keeps shutting down the server service. It is set to automatic and runs after booting the computer but shuts down shortly after. This is causing my backup server not to "see" it untill I restart the service only for it to shut down again half way through a backup or other file transfer. Does anyone have a script or a solution to this?? I don't have this problem on any other W2k servers. TIA.

You need to check the event log to find out why it's stopping. Its possible that a conflict is occuring.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I just posted a reply-didn't seem to go thru. Thanks for the recomendation, I spent a lot of time in my event logs and learned plenty of new things but none seemed to pertain to this. The event logs don't log any information when I start the service nor when I shut it down. Is there a way to configure it so it does?

Comment

Its probably not going to explicitly state that the server service is stopping. Most likely it will list a program that caused an exception and is closing - the cascading effect of this is that it is stopping the service because of a dependency on that program by the service.

Are there any items in the system log that have red "X's" or Errors?

Make sure you have all of the latest security patches as well.
        Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Re: W2k Server Service keeps shutting down!

I have a Win2k3 Server that is having a similar problem and I have been having fits figuring out what the problem is. When the machine is booted up, the server service starts fine and runs fine. It seems to stop after a few weeks or so and I can not start it back up again. I get an error 5 and something to do with not having the rights to start it (Yes, I am logged in as administrator). So, I have to reboot in order for the server service to be started. This is difficult because this is a highly utilized server and can only be restarted after 1:00am. So, I am wondering if the person who was also experiencing the problem ever found the cause and if so, can you please post what you found. I have scoured the event logs and can't find anything that seems to have anything to do with the server service stopping. Thanks in advance for any help.

Steve

Comment

Please change you name to Notasmarttech for tagging you post to a thread that is over 30 months old. Why did you not start a NEW thread instead of hijacking something that has 2 candles on its birthday cake.

Please start a new thread, copy & paste your present info and include any Event Log IDs etc and other appropriate info. Thanks.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

The reason I posted in this thread was to hopefully get a response from avanbaelen if they ever found the answer to their problem. A lot of times people post something, get a little help, then find the answer to their problem and never post back. If he has this thread set to auto notify him on replies, it could give him a reminder to post the fix to the problem. I'm so glad you're full of compliments. This is the first board where I have found anyone having a similar problem relating to the server service and therefor, I did want to try and get to the person that actually experienced problems that were related instead of just opening it up to anyone who has not had experience with it.

Comment

Ok then, start a new thread and post all your info and we will see what can be done. After 2 years Avanbaelen is probably not even subscribed to the thread anymore. Also, your server is Win2K3 and Avanbaelen's was Win2K that is more than enough reason to make a new thread.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X