Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Windows 2003] Reinstalling Primary DC

Ok guys first post and i startoff with this ,

I have a Windows 2003 server environment, with 2 separate servers both have different roles.

data-srv1
    Primary DC
    Primary DNS
    WINS
    DHCP Server
    Exchange 2003 Server(With OWA enabled and in use)
    Apache Webserver

data-srv2
    Secondary DC
    Secondary DNS
    RAS VPN Server
    Fax server

Now the problem is that data-srv1 is very and i mean very messy. Lots of half-removed software rubbish ect. ect.
    What i would like to do is completely reinstall my primary DC to make a clean start.

Problem is i don't want to crash the entire network by reinstalling data-srv1, is there anyway that i can demotedata-srv1 and let dat-srv2 take-over all the tasks en revert this when data-srv1 is up & running again?

The webserver is just for internal use and has a -10 priority in this manner.

Any advice would be more than welcome!

Re: [Windows 2003] Reinstalling Primary DC

Note easily. The main hurdle is Exchange. You cannot (reliably) demote or promote a box that is running Exchange. Daniel?

Comment

As has been said exchange is the biggest problem.

Your best bet would be to get a dedicated server, if possible, and move your exchange mailboxes to the new one. Remove exchange from that box then demote the server from there.

Have a read of this and see if it helps.

http://blogs.brnets.com/michael/arch...01/24/319.aspx

Comment

also don't forget to move you're DHCP and youre winsserver.
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Ok, so i should first move the exchange mailboxe's to another Exchange server than deinstall the Exchange server and demote the primary DC.

Than reinstall the current server and install exchange on that server and than move the mailboxes back to that server?

Comment

Originally posted by justah
            Than reinstall the current server and install exchange on that server and than move the mailboxes back to that server?

If at all possible leave the exchange server on it own dedicated NON-DC.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1
              If at all possible leave the exchange server on it own dedicated NON-DC.
              Exchange is now on the primary DC :/ which also is the only exchange server...

Comment

build data-srv3 , put exchange on it , move mailboxes

then move DNS/DHCP/WINS to data-srv2 , give it all the roles, redo srv1 and put the DNS/DHCP/WINS back on there

Comment

Using a temporary 3rd server is the essence of Swing Migration (www.sbsmigration.com) and not just for Small Business Server. All you need is to save the data and the exchange databases of srv1.Then, using swing you can efectively destroy and rebuild it on the same hardware with the same server name and then restore the roles, data, shares and Exchange files.

Contact me off-line for more info.
                  TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                  http://www.wintra.co.il/
                  sigpic
                  Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                  X