Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade windows server 2003 to windows server 2008

Hello All

I have a windows server 2003 master domain controller and members(all windows server 2003) of the domain controller. Now I want to upgrade the OS of all servers from windows 2003 to windows 2008. Can I start the OS upgrading with a member server? or have to from the master server. If possible then what are the procedures to be followed. I have tested this scenario in my VM windows 2003 test AD/DC server and successfully upgraded the OS. Now want to implement in the production.
    Need to know the process/procedures prior to start cos I don't want to make a mess of the production servers.

Thank you in advance.

Re: Upgrade windows server 2003 to windows server 2008

Backup DC 2003, AD, DHCP and anything else important on it
    Install Server 2008, (is it really Server 2008 as Mainstream Support End Date was 13 January 2015) 32 or 64 bit?

OOOPS, I think I may have read this post wrong (how unusual). Please confirm that this is going to be an in-place upgrade and NOT installing Server 2008 on new hardware.

If in-place, I would start with creating a 2008 DC first and allowing it to Replicate so if anything goes wrong with the 2003 DC upgrade you still have a working 2008 DC. However I really can't remember the last time I did an in-place install/upgrade so someone may have a better and more current solution.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

It will be an OS up gradation. Currently all machines are running windows server 2003 which are to be upgraded to windows server 2008

Thank you
      __________________________________________________ ______________
      Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
      Backup DC 2003, AD, DHCP and anything else important on it
      Install Server 2008, (is it really Server 2008 as Mainstream Support End Date was 13 January 2015) 32 or 64 bit?

OOOPS, I think I may have read this post wrong (how unusual). Please confirm that this is going to be an in-place upgrade and NOT installing Server 2008 on new hardware.

If in-place, I would start with creating a 2008 DC first and allowing it to Replicate so if anything goes wrong with the 2003 DC upgrade you still have a working 2008 DC. However I really can't remember the last time I did an in-place install/upgrade so someone may have a better and more current solution.

Comment

As I mentioned above. BACKUP EVERYTHING first and then start with the DC.

Alternatively you could upgrade a Member Server first, install Hyper-V and then build a Virtual DC so if the physical DC upgrade goes bad you still have an AD copy to work from and don't have to rebuild the whole domain.

It has been a long time since I did an inplace upgrade so someone else may have a much better idea on how to proceed.

The backups are IMPORTANT and make sure you test them first before beginning the upgrades. Nothing like making a backup and then finding it doesn't work when you need it.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Personally, I would not even BEGIN to THINK about upgrading hardware that must be about 10 years old. Get new, then do a side-by-side migration to at least Server 2008R2, if not 2012R2.

The risks of sticking with existing inadequate hardware (and it will be inadequate) far outweigh the cost of new.
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian
            The risks of sticking with existing inadequate hardware (and it will be inadequate) far outweigh the cost of new.
            If money no object I totally agree but I have installed clean Server 2012 R2 onto and old Acer Altos G330 Mk2 (8GB RAM) and have had zero problems. This Server however was exceptionally as they just ran and ran forever. In the dozens of G330s I had setup, I never had to log a warranty call on any of them. I even had the Acer reseller talk me out of a $400 warranty package because he said they never break down. Not often the owner of a large business calls you personally to ask you to NOT purchase something that will make him money.

So ctgpark, can you tell us what hardware you are doing the upgrades onto? Out of curiosity, is this an interim thing just to get Server 2003 out of the system before End of Life in July?
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

First you need to do application accessibility test, what are running on windows 2003 Domain controller...thn you have to upgrade the schema and chekc the compability with your apllication.
              If every thing goes fine than you may proceed with DCpromo

Comment

Originally posted by lisa804u View Post
                First you need to do application accessibility test, what are running on windows 2003 Domain controller...thn you have to upgrade the schema and chekc the compability with your apllication.
                If every thing goes fine than you may proceed with DCpromo
                You shouldn't have apps on your DC.

However i have to strongly agree with Tom (Ossian) on this matter.

If you have a spare system lying around use that as a temporary DC and do a new installation on the old box if required, else install something like VMware Workstation and create a VM and use that.

Comment

Thank you biggles77 for your reply. My server specifications are::

Dell Optiplex 380
                  Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93GHz with 2 GB RAM
                  Cache Memory: 3 MB L2 cache
                  Cache Per Processor: 3 MB

For me hardware up gradation is not an option. This is a member server of my domain which is running Windows Server 2003 R2.

My objective is::
                  >> I'll up-grade the OS(from windows server 2003 to 2008 ) of this member server of my domain 1st.
                  >> If all ends well and everything is as smooth as it was than shall I repeat with all the other members on the domain.
                  >> and finally up-grade my master server OS.

Now I am seeking your expert opinion on my above to do list; so as to how or whether to proceed.

Thank you once again.

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                  If money no object I totally agree but I have installed clean Server 2012 R2 onto and old Acer Altos G330 Mk2 (8GB RAM) and have had zero problems. This Server however was exceptionally as they just ran and ran forever. In the dozens of G330s I had setup, I never had to log a warranty call on any of them. I even had the Acer reseller talk me out of a $400 warranty package because he said they never break down. Not often the owner of a large business calls you personally to ask you to NOT purchase something that will make him money.

So ctgpark, can you tell us what hardware you are doing the upgrades onto? Out of curiosity, is this an interim thing just to get Server 2003 out of the system before End of Life in July?
                  Last edited by biggles77; 22nd February 2015, 16:00. Reason: Fix 8) smilie issue

Comment

first of all you should know this:
                    Operating System Upgrade Options
                    From
                    Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition

Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition with Service Pack 1 (SP1)

Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition with Service Pack 2 (SP2)

to

Full installation of Windows Server 2008 Standard

Full installation of Windows Server 2008 Standard without Hyper-V technology

Full installation of Windows Server 2008 Enterprise

Full installation of Windows Server 2008 Enterprise without Hyper-V

From

Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition

Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition with Service Pack 1 (SP1)

Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition with Service Pack 2 (SP2)

to

Full installation of Windows Server 2008 Enterprise

Full installation of Windows Server 2008 Enterprise without Hyper-V

Full installation of Windows Server 2008 Datacenter

Full installation of Windows Server 2008 Datacenter without Hyper-V

2nd your case will be as follow
                    lets say you have 1 DC and 2 Additional DC
                    so on one of the two aditional make sure it does not have any FSMO roles
                    neither DNS nor DHCP
                    so the scenario is to remove it from the domain(DCPROMO) and install win srerver 2008 on it(CLEAN INSTALLATION) and add it to be a member server, perform (DCPROMO) Now It is additional DC, make it global catalog and give it some time to replicate the data if every thing is OK, transfer FSMO Role to it
                    and so on if you would like to install also the DHCP AND DNS on it do it
                    and repeat this way to your servers(IF YOU WOULD LIKE) ,
                    NOTE
                    you should prepare yous frost and domain first BEFOR
                    adprep /forestprep and adprep /domainprep

Comment

Originally posted by ctgpark View Post
                      Thank you biggles77 for your reply. My server specifications are::

Dell Optiplex 380
                      Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93GHz with 2 GB RAM
                      Cache Memory: 3 MB L2 cache
                      Cache Per Processor: 3 MB

For me hardware up gradation is not an option. This is a member server of my domain which is running Windows Server 2003 R2.

My objective is::
                      >> I'll up-grade the OS(from windows server 2003 to 2008 ) of this member server of my domain 1st.
                      >> If all ends well and everything is as smooth as it was than shall I repeat with all the other members on the domain.
                      >> and finally up-grade my master server OS.

Now I am seeking your expert opinion on my above to do list; so as to how or whether to proceed.

Thank you once again.
                      You're using a desktop system as a server?? Is this a business??

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                        You're using a desktop system as a server?? Is this a business??
                        If it is, I'm going to cry!!!
                        Regards,

Lee

Comment

Working...
                        X