Clear All

• HOW to Create a fixed mapping drive for shared folders

for example i wanna strictly share f: as \\dfp\finance and
    g: as \\bbc\shares

Re: HOW to Create a fixed mapping drive for shared folders

Originally posted by origin05
    for example i wanna strictly share f: as \\dfp\finance and
    g: as \\bbc\shares
    If you have access to use the Wizard in Explorer you can do the following.

Click Tools->Map Network Drive which launches this wizard.

Type in your info and be on your way.

If for some reason you don't have access to the wizard due to a group or security policy it can be done from the command console. Type the following...

NET USE f: \\dfp\finance /persistent:yes
    NET USE g: \\bbc\shares /persistent:yes

For more info follow this link...

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...us/net_use.asp
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

err... just to confirm that this can be done on the server end and client drive mapping is strictly the same as given on the server

Comment

Originally posted by origin05
        err... just to confirm that this can be done on the server end and client drive mapping is strictly the same as given on the server
        Yes mapping a drive is done the same way in either OS.

However...

If you want the drives to map automatically for a user as they authenticate into a domain that's different. To do that you'll need to use a logon script.
        Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

hi ahinson,

thanks for your reply. but can you advise on the logon scripts which you've mentioned? my purpose is just to standardize the drives letters used for my users. There's just too much different alphabets pointing to the same shared drives. Just wants to use 1 drive letter strictly for that particular shared drive. Hope you can help.

Comment

Logon scripts are off topic for this forum. I suggest posting that question in the scripts forum. If you look there's probably already one there that can answer that question.
            Andrew

Comment

simple simple batch file that almost anyone with a double digit IQ can understand is...

Make a file called logon.bat (or whatever you want, just remember it)

in that .bat file let it look something like this
              <===========START=================>
              @ECHO OFF

ECHO DO NOT CLOSE THIS WINDOW!!!
              ECHO It will close when your logon script is complete.

NET USE E: /DELETE /Y
              NET USE E: \\%computername%\%share%

EXIT
              <===========END==================>

Save this .bat file in the netlogon share.

In short everytime the user logs on it deletes the drive and re-creates it.

Now, open up Active Directory Users and Computers.

Find the user that you want to asign the logon script for.

Open up the properties for that user. Find the Profile TAB and under the logon script text box enter logon.bat (or what ever you called it)

If I skipped something let me know. Like I said this is beyond easy and defiantly NOT the most efficient way, but it will work.
              Brad Bentley

Comment

Working...
              X