WIN2K3 No Internet & LAN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WIN2K3 No Internet & LAN

Hello everyone this is my first post, I really like the forum!

I have been toying with the idea of upgrading from 2000 advanced server to win2k3. I installed the os on a clean drive and I have not been able to get internet nor see my LAN. I have DNS, AD and the box is now a DC but I still can not get to the internet or my LAN. I have done everything except replace the NIC.

Anyone have a clue?

Re: WIN2K3 No Internet & LAN

Sounds like you have the wrong drivers for the LAN card. Have you looked in Device Manager for misconfigured items? If it looks OK, does PING or TRACERT work and if so, what are the results?

Obviously, you have TCP/IP installed as a protocol? If you plug the network cable into a hub/switch, do the LEDs come on? What about the LEDs on the server's NIC port?

What's in your Network Connections dialog box? You should at least have a "Local Area Connection". Remove the NIC card and place it in another PCI slot.
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Comment

Try all of JDMils ideas, but just to add another simple one in there.

Are you sure you have setup the IP address details on the connection, or are you sure you have a DHCP server in place to do it automatically.

what results does ipconfig /all give you ?

topper.

edited : because I can't type for the life in me.
      * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

I have already purchased a NIC and I will install it this evening. It is the funniest thing.

I can not see the switch nor the rest of the LAN. I can assign any ip to it and ping itself and the local loopback on the card. I have already configured DNS and from the server I can ping my dns, it only points to itself.

As far as dhcp, I can not connect to any dhcp server because I can not get out of the server. But when I set the card to dhcp it gets assigned an ip from windows.

I have a funny feeling it is the drivers or the card. I bought an Intel card that should fire up on the basic drivers.

The existing card is a realtek or aopen card, not exactly sure but I am going to hit their sit and do some poking around.

Comment

Well it wasn't the nic it was the slot on the mother board. I went to put the new card in the same slot as the old one and same problem. Go figure, I have never seen anything like that before.

Comment

On some boards, PCI slots share IRQs with others. That caused all sorts of problems with sound cards and NIC residing in the same case- the solution was to move the NIC to another slot.
            |
            +-- JDMils
            |
            +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
            |

Comment

Working...
            X