migration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• migration

I have a w2k server acting as a domain controller, but it is slow and doesn`t do the job as it should do. So we thougt to install a new server with 2003 os.
    What is the best way of doing this? The old server we would like to keep because it has so much stuff on it.

Re: migration

Almera,

Take a look at this, it should give you a few idea's

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=5737

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Why not just install it as a secondary DC and spread the load across 2 servers and not 1

Comment

Is it possibly to install DNS with the loopback 127.0.0.1 on w2k, or do i need a real DNS? At the moment the server is running on an ISP`s DNS. I was not the one how installed this server it was given over to me from someone else.

Comment

For Win2k AD to run properly you should be using your own internal DNS server with forwarders to your ISP's DNS servers external.

Are your clients configured to use the ISP's DNS server?? The clients will be going to the ISP's DNS who knows nothing of your internal namespace thus an extreme slow down in logging on.

Comment

No they dont.

Comment

Does the server have DNS installed and configured correctly??

Where do you clients point to for DNS resolution??

Where does your server point to for DNS resolution??

What are the specs fo your server?? How many useers connect to it??

Comment

Working...
              X