Moving from 2000 DC to 2003 DC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving from 2000 DC to 2003 DC

I have a 2000 forest and domain that I need to move to 2012. First I have to move to 2003.
    When I run Adprep /forestprep on the 2000 DC, Adprep fails with "Adprep was unable to extend the schema. The schema master did not complete a replication cycle after the last reboot."

However, I have one and only one domain controller, it doesn't replicate anywhere. I have no BDC or secondary DC. Why would I be getting this message and how can I correct this ?

Re: Moving from 2000 DC to 2003 DC

Search AD for traces of old DCs - failed and improperly removed, or abandoned or something.

for "metadata cleanup" to find the procedure to remove them.

Also reboot the server "just in case"
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

2000 DC is in Mixed Mode

OK. I did and you're right, there used to be another DC that doesn't exist any more. I will run the metadata cleanup.

One more question. My existing 2000 DC is in mixed mode. Do I need to take it out of mixed mode before moving to 2003 and 2012 ? I see an option in AD Domains and Trusts to change mode but if I do, what else is that going to cause ? This is the ONLY DC I have right now and have several apps running on it and cant afford to cause serious interruptions. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Mixed mode is only for legacy (NT4) domain controllers so you should have no issue "flipping the switch" to native mode.

This should not cause a reboot or anything.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Ossian. I did the metadata cleanup and switched to native mode. Promoted my 2003R2 server to domain controller, made it a global catalog and moved all of the fsmo roles to it, then demoted the old 2000 server to just a member server, all went well.

Now I have a new issue. When I tried to promote my 2012 server to a DC, it failed because the forest function level is windows 2000. So, on my 2003 server, in Domains and Trusts, I was able to raise my domain level to 2003 but the forest level stayed at windows 2000. Also, I only have an option to raise the domain level, no option to raise the forest level to 2003.

How can I get my forest level up to 2003 so I can promote my 2012 server to DC ?

Comment

You need to update the forest functional level which is done in the AD Domains and Trusts console which is a seperate step from the domain functional level update.

See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc772570.aspx

Comment

Thanks PJHutch. I see that's a seperate step like you said and now I was able to raise the forest level to 2003. I appreciate the fast reply.

Originally posted by pjhutch View Post
              You need to update the forest functional level which is done in the AD Domains and Trusts console which is a seperate step from the domain functional level update.

See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc772570.aspx

Comment

Working...
              X