No announcement yet.

SQL 2000 on W2K3 DC

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQL 2000 on W2K3 DC

Hello Everyone,

I have been asked to install SQL 2000 on a Windows 2003 DC. I can't see any issues arising, I have 2 other DCs at this site so maintenance on the SQL2K DC shouldn't be an issue. There will be no IIS on this box and no direct access from outside the LAN.

Does anyone foresee any issues from doing this install? I have a limited number of servers and have to carefully distribute the required services.

Please advise.

Re: SQL 2000 on W2K3 DC

I'm not a SQL expert but I would have to say that the answer to your question would depend on a few things.

For example:
    1. The hardware specifications of the server (specifically RAM and RAID specs)
    2. What else is running on the server
    3. How many and how big are the SQL databases will you be running

SQL Server is a pretty demanding application, so if you have other things running on the server, it may degrade SQL's performance.

Another thought comes to mind. If you are running SQL server on the DC, will it cause a problem for you if you have to reboot the DC (let's say, because you've just updated/patched your SQL server)? The reverse could also be asked - if you update your DC and have to reboot it, will cause problems for your SQL users?

At any rate, a few things to ponder.

Good luck!