Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2003 SMB share problem...

Morning guys,

Got a personal server problem here, Server 2003 with a few shares on it at home, I use an iPad app 'OPlayerHD Lite' to connect to these shares and watch movies or listen to music. Never had a problem with it, always worked perfectly until the other day when the app just says 'Network error'.

To cut a long story short the ipad app work fine from a test share on an XP & 7 box so its not an ipad issue. XP & 7 box can see the share on the server, port 139 is open and listening on the sever, no firewall is running on the server. Server has been restarted and services have been checked, nothing untoward is logged in the event viewer...

I'm really rather confused on this one, has anyone any ideas as to what could have gone wrong?

Thanks

Dave

Re: Server 2003 SMB share problem...

Have you applied patches recently, say just before the problem started?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for your reply. There were a few updates installed but they have been removed. Is there anyway I can test / diagnose SMB shares from windows other than \\myserver\mydata ?

Comment

Looks like I solved it, after a lot of digging :-

Administrative Tools>Default Domain Controller Security Settings>Local Policies>Security Options>Microsoft network server: Digitally sign communications (always) > Disabled !!

Restarted the server and it suddenly started working as it should... Happy again as the other half has stopped complaining at me and can now watch her rubbish programmes...!

Thanks

Dave

Comment

Well done, and thanks for posting back

Worth re-applying the patches one by one and finding out if one of them changed the setting
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X