Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Password Policy at OU level

Hello

I am implementing a windows 2003 domain controller enviroment. We will be creating dept OU under the domain level. I know from experience and reading that password policies can only be set at the domain level. I am wondering if anyone knows a tweak or registry hack to set a password policy at the OU level.

Re: Password Policy at OU level

Why dont you set up the password policy at domain level and then block inheritence to specific OU where you dont want the policy applied

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Will That work?... and if I do block inheritance what type of password policy will be set at the OU level? Will I be able create a password policy at the OU level?

Comment

I thought password policies were applied Domain wide and NOT at the OU.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Correct, password policies can only be set at the domain level (usually in the default domain policy). It cannot be done at OU level.
          Server 2000 MCP
          Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Well, they can be set on the OU level (obviously, the GPO editor lets you do it) but it does not do what you expect. In particular, it does not influence the domain passwords. In each Active Directory domain, each password policy setting holds for ALL accounts.

Quiz time: what _does_ a password policy on a OU really do?

Comment

Just a guess but sets the password policy for any local accounts on any computer accounts that are in that OU?
              Server 2000 MCP
              Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

Comment

First prize goes to Tony!

Comment

Originally posted by wkasdo
                  First prize goes to Tony!
                  Cool! What do i win??? (Btw my real name is Chris )
                  Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Working...
                  X