Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access and setup Windows Server 2003

Hi Guys

Need some help as I am helping a friend. Basically very small business I x Win server 2003 and four PC's. I was asked to upgrade 2 PC's from XP to Win 7 - all good. When they were XP they connected to the server automatically - never had to login etc - never considered how they actually connected. After the upgrade to Win 7 I looked in Network could see the server but cant connect (says contact administrator - we don't have one). So my questions are

1 - I do have the username and PW for the server but thats about it!
    2 - How do I connect to administer the server from a PC on the network?
    3 - I assume I have to set up a username and password for the 2 x new Win 7 pc's?
    4 - Access for the 2 x new PC's is for the whole drive - its basically a document store but need read/write access.
    5 - All the computers are in the same workgroup - if that helps
    6 - All the PC's are connected via ethernet.
    7 - I did look at the other PC's (One is already using Windows 7) but couldn't figure out what to do!
    8 - Network printers work fine and everybody can print.
    9 - All the PC's can see one another
    10 - The Windows Server has no monitor on so need to manage/access from another PC on the network.

Fortunately for me, I did actually keep XP on the newly created Win 7 Pc's making them dual boot so those people will be able to work in the morning - I did the upgrades over the weekend. I really dont need anything sophisticated in terms of security - dont even need passwords but guess Server 2003 wont allow it. Some simple steps to resolve this would be much appreciated. Like always - when you know its probably quite straightforward!!

Many thanks and apologies for the length of the post - just tried to give all the info I have.

Re: Access and setup Windows Server 2003

First you need to check what is giving out ip addresses.
    On one of the machines open command prompt and type:
    Ipconfig /all
    Look for the IP address next to DNS and the one next to gateway.
    If they are both different, then the dns one is probably the server.
    If they are the same, then it will be the router giving out ip addresses.
    If that's the case, you should be able to log on to the router and find the server in the dhcp table/device list.

Once you have the servers ip, you can use it to connect via Remote Desktop (just type that into win7 start menu search).

Once on the server, you really need to assess what the situation is and report back - you should find dhcp in administrators tools, see if that's configured, that's important.

Also, you need to look in the same place for active directory, to see if that's installed.

Then from in there you can create some users, and after that, you can join each client to the domain (a much better idea than leaving them on a workgroup).
    David Silvester
    Systems Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by davids355 View Post
      First you need to check what is giving out ip addresses.
      On one of the machines open command prompt and type:
      Ipconfig /all
      Look for the IP address next to DNS and the one next to gateway.
      If they are both different, then the dns one is probably the server.
      If they are the same, then it will be the router giving out ip addresses.
      If that's the case, you should be able to log on to the router and find the server in the dhcp table/device list.

Once you have the servers ip, you can use it to connect via Remote Desktop (just type that into win7 start menu search).

Once on the server, you really need to assess what the situation is and report back - you should find dhcp in administrators tools, see if that's configured, that's important.

Also, you need to look in the same place for active directory, to see if that's installed.

Then from in there you can create some users, and after that, you can join each client to the domain (a much better idea than leaving them on a workgroup).
      OK - so far so good. Router is giving out IP's.

Logged on to Server with Remote Desktop.

WS2003 is running on XP - had a quick tour round.

As I said previously, there is one user already connected using Windows 7. All I want to do is replicate that user profile(I think). I am new to WS2003 so dont want to change any settings simply add a user or two. Would I be correct in thinking this is set-up as a shared network drive. I know you haven't seen it but the folder on the Win7 PC seems to look like a shared folder. Its actually the whole drive which is perfect and what the two XP users are set up for.
      If it helps the share name appears to be \\GOLISERVER\DATOS. Is it case sensetive?

Also what do I need to set-up on the 2 x new win7 PC's. I feel I am close but just need the final step I hope.

I can see the server on the 2 x new WIN7 pcs but if I try to connect (double click) it says contact your Administrator - you don't have permission or access to the drive (forgot exact wording).

Many thanks if you can help on the final stage.

Not that this has any bearing but the server is setup in Spanish so tests my language skills!!

Comment

Does the Win 7 machine have any mapped drives?

(at the command prompt on the Win 7 machine run "net use" and it should show all the network shares it's connected to)
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Yes - one drive- the whole drive and located at \\GOLISERVER\DATOS It was that PC I was trying to use to see how it was setup.

Thanks

Comment

Is it mapped to a drive letter on the Windows 7 computer?

I imagine that you just need to map a drive to the share using alternate credentials, probably the server admin credentials. From a security standpoint this is a bad idea but it sounds like you don't really care about that.

At some point I very strongly recommend having each user use a separate account with a good password known only to them and only having the owner and the administrator have the admin credentials for the server.
            Last edited by JeremyW; 4th December 2013, 20:41.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Z

Cant write any more than that!!

Comment

See my edit above.
                Regards,
                Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                  Is it mapped to a drive letter on the Windows 7 computer?

I imagine that you just need to map a drive to the share using alternate credentials, probably the server admin credentials. From a security standpoint this is a bad idea but it sounds like you don't really care about that.

At some point I very strongly recommend having each user use a separate account with a good password known only to them and only having the owner and the administrator have the admin credentials for the server.
                  Its a very small business - with all the documentation on the server (and backed up) The three users barely know how to turn on the PC - I explained a dual boot and on Day 2 it booted to Win7 and they couldn't get their info. So security is built-in - they know less than me!

Back to the problem

I need an idiots guide to the "I imagine that you just need to map a drive to the share using alternate credentials, probably the server admin credentials."

On the server are several accounts already created - to be honest it looks a mess as several techies have delved in and done their own thing - BUT all I want to do 2 x Win7 PC's access as a User (probaly better for some security) with read/write capabilities

So logon to server and go to Admin tools - add a user etc. then I am stuck. Sad I know.

I have tried to login from the one PC currenllty running W7 with access and merely want to do the same thing - when I try to connect with my own Laptop it says I dont have access contact administrator.

One other thought - should my PC be in the same workgroup or does that not matter in this scenario?

Many thanks

Just a thought both the PC's were XP and I upgraded them to WIN7 (hence dualboot). Presumably I could use the same credentials to logon?
                  Last edited by garyward22; 4th December 2013, 21:39.

Comment

Go onto the server, go into control panel>administrators tools>active directory users and computers.
                    You should see the users listed in there already, just right click and copy one of them, then type in whatever name/username/password that you want to use.

Once created, goto user>properties>member of and add then to the appropriate groups (in your case, you may want them to all be administrators).

Now, on the server, go to administrators tools, computer management.
                    then look in the shares section and you will see the created shares and their relative paths on the server.

find the share you are trying to make availble, right click>properties, and check the security tab - make sure that in there you have "users" with full permissions - that means all users have full access to that share.

Now, on th client computers, go into my computer, map network drive, put in \\servername\share and pick a letter, Z for example.
                    then, you should also have an option "connect with alternative credentials", click that, and enter the crendetials that you created for that user/computer.

That should be it, that drive should now automatically be mapped every time you boot.

If you run into trouble at any point following that, then post details.

PS please note, that this is not really the correct way of doing it at all, and it would be much more beneficial to have the clients actually joined to the domain, but it doesn't sound like you want to do that.
                    Last edited by davids355; 5th December 2013, 10:35. Reason: missed a bit
                    David Silvester
                    Systems Administrator

Comment

Thanks - that all sounds straightforward. Will try this afternoon. This was more or less what I was trying to do but didn't know how to do it!

Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by garyward22 View Post
                        Thanks - that all sounds straightforward. Will try this afternoon. This was more or less what I was trying to do but didn't know how to do it!

Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.
                        Cool, give it a go and see. if you had trouble, alternative would be to create a batch script on startup that auto maps the drives for you and authenticates as well, sometimes I find that useful when I am setting up off-domain devices (like home editions etc).
                        David Silvester
                        Systems Administrator

Comment

Working...
                        X