HP prolian ML 150 win2003 server hdd

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP prolian ML 150 win2003 server hdd

I'd like to replace the ST3250624AS raid hdds that are installed on ML 150 G3 HP server. Can anybody suggest a suitable model?
    Is this a good option :ST3500630NS?

Also currently the capacity is 250GB, how do I mirror it to 2x 500GB hdd?

Re: HP prolian ML 150 win2003 server hdd

Ah, the ancient ML150 G3. I have one of those lying around.

Any SATA drive of equal or larger size will work. Whether you will be able to expand the existing RAID to take advantage of larger drives, depends on the controller.

The ML150 G3 came in several configurations. The simplest used an on-board 6-port SATA controller (from NVIDIA, I believe), supporting so-called "fakeRAID". This means all the RAID functionality resides in the driver rather than the controller. More expensive models came with a separate 8-port SAS/SATA hardware RAID HBA.

I believe the on-board NVIDIA controller only supports SATA-150. Not sure about the other HBA. In any case, faster SATA drives should be 100% backwards compatible. Some have a jumper setting to disable autonegotiation and force 1.5 Mbps bus speed.

There are several ways to migrate the existing installation to a new array:
    • backup, swap drives, define array, then restore using the Windows 2003 bare metal recovery mechanism (recreates all your partitions exactly as they were, so you'd have to resize afterwards)
    • backup, swap drives, define array, install OS, create partitions, then restore (you can alter the partition sizes as needed to take advantage of the new array before you restore)
    • use third party cloning utility to back up existing installation to an external drive, install new drives, define new array, then restore using the same imaging/cloning utility
    • If you have enough SATA ports to install old and new drives simultaneously: install new drives, define new array, use third party cloning utility to migrate existing installation, then remove the old drives (by far the fastest method)
    • If your RAID controller supports it: Replace one drive, wait for the array to rebuild, replace the next drive, wait for array to rebuild (repeat until all drives have been replaced), expand array to take advantage of available space, then create or extend partitions in Disk Manager

Comment

Thank you for the info.I really appreciate it. Regarding the hdd model, I know that Seagate produces Sata hdd that are supposed to be "ideal" for servers, but I am not sure which model to get. I prefer to increase the capacity to 500GB.

Regarding this solution:
      "If your RAID controller supports it: Replace one drive, wait for the array to rebuild, replace the next drive, wait for array to rebuild (repeat until all drives have been replaced), expand array to take advantage of available space, then create or extend partitions in Disk Manage"

Can you please give more info? Thanx~!

Comment

It is always possible to replace RAID array members (drives) one at at time. After all, that's what happens when a drive fails.

You replace one drive, essentially simulating a drive failure, then wait for the controller (or driver, in the case of "fakeRAID") to copy data onto the new drive. Once the array status changes from "degraded" to "active", you can repeat the process with the next drive.

If you use drives larger than those originally used to create the array, you end up with unallocated space on all drives. The question then is, can the array be altered to reflect the larger size of each array member, or are you stuck with the original array definition unless you delete and recreate the array?

In some cases, an existing array can be extended. In other cases, a new array can be created out of the extra space. And finally, in some cases you'll have to delete and recreate the array to take advantage of all available drive space. It all depends on the controller/driver.

According to this thread, it may be possible to expand an array. The Array Configuration Utility may provide further clues. Is your server equipped with an 8-port SAS/SATA controller, or are you using the onboard E200i?

Comment

I checked under control panel and it seems that it's the original HP raid.
          I am thinking of using 2 new ST500NM0011 hdd. What do you think?

Comment

The drives will certainly work.

Try replacing one at a time first, and then see if you can extend the existing RAID device or otherwise take advantage of the available space.

Comment

Working...
            X