No announcement yet.

Connection Issues

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connection Issues

We have a Windows 2000 terminal server that hosts an application as well as an Oracle database.

Just last week I had reports that everyone was getting error messages trying to connect to the application, sharing violation and access denied being two of them. They were application errors, but I can't see anything in the event logs that tells me anything.

The PC's are running XP and have been working fine for years.

Just out of interest, I installed the required software on a Win 2k workstation and it connects OK.

The XP PC's still get the same errors as before.

We are in a 2003 AD environment, we have SMB signing disabled due to old systems anyway.

I'm at a loss as to why this is now a problem or what might be causing the issue.

I've checked to see if an update was applied to the XP machines, but so far I'm drawing a blank.

Does any one know what could cause an XP system to error yet let a Win2k system connect just fine?

Also, I have our main admin account that will let me connect via XP, but my account with the same group membership does not connect.

So, it's sort of permissions, but also could be something in the group policy, but I'm yet to find anything explicit that says an account can do something that mine cannot.

Sorry for the long winded post, but just wanted to get all the information down!

Hope someone can help!

Re: Connection Issues

something changed. Were there patches recently ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Hi, Thanks for the response.

I assumed something had changed, but I can't find anything that makes sense. I've checked my PC and no updates have been applied.

I've managed to get a workaround. Basically, I've scripted the 'RunAs' command to launch the required app using the one admin account that works on XP. This works and it works fine, just have to set it up on each PC, but there's only a handful.

At least this gives me a bit of time to have a proper look for the issue.

It's an odd one, that's for sure!

just because it doesn't make sense, doesn't mean it's not the culprit.

sounds like it could be related to UAC somehow
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point