Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird problem on windows 2003 server

System:
    3 terminals all with windows 7 pro connected to HP prolian server windows 2003

Sharing folders:

2 folders, 1 docs and 1 drawing.

First folder can be access by all terminals, the second (drawings) can only be fully accessed by one terminal. Some subfolders of the drawing cannot be accessed with the other two terminals.

What I did:

I copied all the files into a usb flash fromt he terminal that has full access to them and tried to copy them back to another folder on server. IT WON"T ALLOW THE COPY TO PROCEED!. Then I tried to access the subfolders from the server and even the server cannot have access to it. This looks like a very weird problem. Any advice?

Re: Weird problem on windows 2003 server

What I assume is that the hdd of the server might have become faulty. I will try to
    check them with the HP tool and see what I can come up to

Comment

A CHKDSK on the drive is definitely a good idea
      Also do a permissions reset (allow inherited permissions from root of drive to propagate to everything in it, then re-apply permissions to the share
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thank you for your reply. How do I do the permissions reset?

Comment

Right click on the folder - security - advanced - Replace All Child Object Permissions...
          Click OK
          Select option to apply to all subfolders and files
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I did that but still the folder cannot be accessed. What I did is I copied the contents of the folder to another location and shared that location. Now it works. However I really think is the hdd that is becoming faulty. I did windows disk check and found no erorrs but I will also try the HP check utility.

Comment

Have you also tried taking ownership of the folder? (It's two tabs to the right of the place that you change permissions inheritance).
              A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
              X