Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ML370 G4 Server-- Sound

Hallo,

I got a used HP ML370 G4 server from our office in good working condition,before it had windows server 2003 R2..I formated it and installed windows 7 64 bit,since i wanted to used it as a personal computer at home.

I will be using it maybe in the evening every day for maybe 5 works after work and during weekends ,just to watch movies,read documents and basic tasks.Is there any harm in this since it produces some noise whilst on...and my house isnt as cold as the server room in our office?

I like its xeon processor since it fast.The only problem am having is that it doesnt produce audio...it also doesnt have the audio input/output ports.Considering i wanted to connect it to a home theater system while watching movies ...kindly kind me on what i need to do to make it's audio work.

Re: ML370 G4 Server-- Sound

Check which slots you have available on the motherboard, you may need to find a PCI sound card.
    Servers typically draw a lot more power than normal desktop PC's, so it's not very environmentally friendly and may effect your electricity bill.
    I have never tried this but there are a lot of 'USB Audio' devices around that will or should convert a usb port to an audio adapter.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/tag/usb%20sound%20card/products
    Last edited by uk_network; 14th October 2013, 07:21.
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

No double posts please - I have deleted the one in General Hardware.

You could also look for a USB sound card - may be easier to find than an internal one.

Temperature will not be a problem - servers, particularly Intel based can run a lot hotter than a server room, but noise will bug you very rapidly.
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        No double posts please - I have deleted the one in General Hardware.

You could also look for a USB sound card - may be easier to find than an internal one.

Temperature will not be a problem - servers, particularly Intel based can run a lot hotter than a server room, but noise will bug you very rapidly.
        Thank you very much Tom.

Comment

Working...
        X