Primary Domain controller backup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primary Domain controller backup

Currently i have a windows server 2003 domain controller.

I don't have any other DC running.I am thinking of installing another DC just for redundant purposes...for both the AD,DNS,& DHCP running on the only server

However,i dont have an extra machine to use for this

So i was thinking of installing VMWARE in my personal machine and use it as a seconday domain controller.

Is this possible?

Re: Primary Domain controller backup

Yes, it is possible, although will not give you much in the way of reliability.

Remember you will need a licensed server OS (can you get 2003 still?) so would it not be better to look out an old PC (Dual core 2GHz plus / 1Gb RAM, ideally with RAID 1, will do nicely) to act as a dedicated additional DC. Price should be trivial compared with the OS

For example, my domain main DC (I have 2 virtuals as well) runs on an Atom 1.8GHz with 4GB RAM and a pair of 160Gb drives - DC/DNS/DHCP for up to 20 clients without any problems
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by pope View Post
      Currently i have a windows server 2003 domain controller.

I don't have any other DC running.I am thinking of installing another DC just for redundant purposes...for both the AD,DNS,& DHCP running on the only server

However,i dont have an extra machine to use for this

So i was thinking of installing VMWARE in my personal machine and use it as a seconday domain controller.

Is this possible?
      Thanks.

Does this mean i will need to get another license to use with the secondary domain controller?

If that's so , i would rather user a win2k08

Comment

Unless you are using the additional licenses for virtualisation that come with some Windows Server editions (but are not valid on more than one physical machine) you will need a license for each server OS you have deployed.

So you will need one for your additional domain controller (physical or virtual)

I would agree that 2008R2 or 2012 are better, but remember they are 64-bit only so make sure you have suitable hardware (or VMware supports them)
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X