2003 Global Catalog with 2000 native

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 Global Catalog with 2000 native

In an enviorment with the domain functional level at 2000 native.

Will the entire Global Catalog replicate to a Windows 2003 Domain controller or just the changes?

Re: 2003 Global Catalog with 2000 native

That's a bit unclear. Let me put it like this, see if it answers the question.

For W2000 DC's, if you do a schema update that touches an attribute that is GC-enabled, all GC's will rebuild. This has been fixed for W2003 DC's. All W2003 GC's in the forest will replicate only changes with each other, no matter what the domain mode.

Comment

I think that you got it.

The real problem is that I have a work for a large corporation and the domain is 2000 with my location and others having only a 2003 DC. They are unwilling agree to make my DC a global catalog because they say that the replication will be full all the time. My argument is that because my DC is 2003 that it will only replicate the changes, not the whole Global Catalog.

thanks

Comment

Note that you will ONLY have a complete rebuild for W2000 GC's when there is a particular type of schema change, such as the Exchange schema's.

For all other changes (users, groups, etc) GC's use the normal differential replication. So normally, the only full replication will happen when you enable the DC to be a DC. After that, all is differential.

> My argument is that because my DC is 2003 that it will only replicate the changes, not the whole Global Catalog.

Only if its direct replication partner is a W2003 GC.

Comment

Working...
        X