No announcement yet.

taskbar minimised after logout

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• taskbar minimised after logout

Hi there,

I am using Windows Server 2003 R2 as a terminal server.

Each time a user logs out and then back in again, the task bar is minimised at the bottom of the screen and they have to mouse over the taskbar and drag it back up. (I have included an image that I hope better describes my issue).

This is only affecting users when they log into the TS, it is not affecting users logging into domain accounts on normal PC's. Users connect to the TS using MSTSC.

This is affecting all domain users, including domain admins and also local users, including the local admin account.

Things I have tried so far:

1) Creating a new domain user. The task bar is sized correctly the first time they log in, then, once they have logged out and back in again, the task bar is hidden.

2) Deleting the local user profile from within the User Profiles settings section in System Properties. Again, this works the first time the user logs back in but after a log out and back in again, the task bar is hidden.

3) Checked GPO settings, none are set that affect the task bar behavior

4) Checked registry settings from HKLU, HKLM, HKCU and HKU. I have deleted the NoSaveSettings DWORD from all locations in the registry.

5) Ticking the 'Lock the taskbar' checkbox from within the Start Menu and TaskBar properties works and also, if I create a GPO (user config / policies / admin templates / start menu and taskbar) that sets this option to checked, that also works but I feel this is more of a workround than a solution.

Any further suggestions are gratefully received.

Thank you
    Attached Files

Re: taskbar minimised after logout

Could be malware? Do you have AV running and have you run a full scan of the TS?

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond

Re: taskbar minimised after logout

Hi Jeremy, thank you for your post.

I did wonder if it may be something like that. I have a corporate AV licence and have also ran a Malwarebytes scan, both came up clean though.

Also, the fact that changing the Lock Taskbar setting (either by GPO or local user setting) seems to 'fix' it, I was kinda thinking it may be some registry or other setting somewhere that was causing it???