Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I find Network Printer Model with generic drives installed

Hi All,

I have a printer server (windows 2003) with close to 200 online printers on it. There are many servers for which the model comes up as Generic/Text Only ---- and --- Xerox Global Printer Driver.

I want to find out the printer model number for these printers. Snapshot attached

Thanks
    Vaibhav
    Attached Files

Re: How do I find Network Printer Model with generic drives installed

Only thing I can think of is getting a list of printer IPs and checking if each has a web page

You may be able to do something more with SNMP or WMI but no idea what
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Tom for the suggestion.

I ping printers and I have the IP address for it. I enter it in the browser and I get the Printer model.

Is there a way to get list of all Printer IP's

Thanks

Comment

DHCP or DNS?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Tom,

I ran fastresolver tool and I have the IP address for the printers. Now I guess I need to enter the IP address manually in the browser to fetch the details

thanks
          Vaibhav

Comment

I would assume so

The good thing is you can do it as fast (or slow) as you want and, once done, you will have it documented for future reference

Note there still may be a way of automating it -just a thought, what about automatic scanning for printers in Win7 or 8?
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Another way would be to use network inventory software, running a scan and checking out which printer result they return.
              A couple of free ones which I have used are:

http://www.lansweeper.com/pc-network...-software.aspx
              http://www.spiceworks.com/free-pc-ne...tory-software/

And maybe in future consider keepig some kind of asset register, even if it's just an excel spreadsheet.
              Plus giving printers none generic names like FirstFloorXerox1
              Last edited by uk_network; 26th August 2013, 20:01.
              Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
              I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
              MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

you can check in AD

Comment

Originally posted by Nagaraju View Post
                  you can check in AD
                  Only if they are published - and this reflects the model shown in Windows, which doesn't help the OP
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

Working...
                  X