Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy files from old domain profile to new domain profile

Hi,

We currently have a few servers running a mixture of Server 2003 and Server 2008. All are on our current domain.

We are moving to a new domain in the near future, and all of these existing servers will be joined to the new domain.

Along with the move to a new domain, all of our users will undergo a username change. Our current format is first name followed by the first letter of their surname, for example for John Smith it would be johns. When we move to the new domain, the new format will be the first letter of the first name, followed by the surname. e.g. jsmith.

What is the best way to copy all existing desktop shortcuts, favourites, documents and so on from the older folder to the new without impacting the users too much? We do not use roaming profiles, so all profile data is stored locally on the servers.

I'm not concerned with application settings such as Outlook etc as I am managing that via login scripts. I know this can be done manually but we have approximately 80 staff spread out across the servers so I'd like to automate as much as possible.

Re: Copy files from old domain profile to new domain profile

You should be able to use ADMT to migrate the users over, renaming them in the process. If you were to do that then there would be no need to worry about the users' profiles because they would continue to use the same one with the new username.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I should have mentioned that we are migrating to a new Exchange server at the same time, so is it possible to pick and choose what settings to migrate using the ADMT tool?

There won't be any need to copy Outlook config across as it will be incorrect anyway.

Also, we'll be migrating the users to 2 brand new AD servers. The existing AD servers will be retired, so the new AD servers will be joined to the new domain only. Can I still use the ADMT tool?

Comment

Originally posted by hetfield View Post
        Thanks for your reply. I should have mentioned that we are migrating to a new Exchange server at the same time, so is it possible to pick and choose what settings to migrate using the ADMT tool?
        ADMT migrates Active Directory objects, nothing else. So when you say settings, to what are you referring? If it's items and configurations in a user's profile then the answer is that none of those things are migrated, rather, the SID associated with the profile is migrated. So when the user logs on to the new domain with the new username, it will get the profile it has always gotten because that profile is now associated with the new account (and also with the old account).

Here's the guide for ADMT http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=19188

There won't be any need to copy Outlook config across as it will be incorrect anyway.
        If there's going to be a lot of customization for each profile then you'll have to choose whether you want to use the existing profiles or users and modify them or setup new profiles and migrate documents and settings over and customize as necessary. Unless you're having a lot of profile issues, it's probably best to customize the users' existing profiles.

Also, we'll be migrating the users to 2 brand new AD servers. The existing AD servers will be retired, so the new AD servers will be joined to the new domain only. Can I still use the ADMT tool?
        Yes, the ADMT tool will migrate objects between domains.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks again for your fast reply.

I think I understand what you are saying about the ADMT tool. To ensure I understand properly, the ADMT tool will copy across the same SID for each user to their new user account in the new domain. When they login to their respective server, upon login Windows will grab the SID, and point it to the old profile. Is this correct?

Will it rename the old profile's folder automatically, or will it continue to point to the existing profile folder with the old username?

One final question, the new domain we are migrating to is in use by our company globally, we are just in the process of joining the global domain. So what are the chances of there being a conflict of SIDs with existing accounts on our new domain if we were to use the ADMT tool?

Comment

If you're going to use ADMT you need to read through the guide. There's a lot to consider but it will make the transition much easier.

To answer your questions:
            1. The profile folder names will not change
            2. I was oversimplifying the process when I said the SID would copy over. When you do the migration you will want to migrate the SID history. During the migration ADMT will create a new SID for the account in the new domain but have the history of the old SID and will be associated with the current user's profile.
            Have a read here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...(v=ws.10).aspx

Also, read that guide. Don't just start using ADMT, you need to understand it before you use it.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
            X