I need Help with a Lan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need Help with a Lan

I just started for the catering company and now I'm head of The It department. They use Network Solutions to host their domain but the Lan in the office has a server running Windows Server 2003. I have try to set my computer up to the domain but it won't let me connect. I've made a user account in active directory and tired to assign my user name to the computer I'm using but it won't let connect to the domain. I have some experience using Server 03 in school but never in the real world. This is my first time having to use what I've learned in school out in the field. I'm just wondering if I were to demote to old domain would it be better than to try make a new one. And If I demote what would I have to do and what do I need in server to make sure things go well. I'm sorry I'm not more detailed about The topic but I'm a recent tech grad and I know how to promote but I never had to connect several computers to a server before. I don't what to mess things up but I want to try to get better at setting up Lans for companies. Hence my user name for this site.

Re: I need Help with a Lan

I wouldnt immediately jump at setting up a new domain based on the fact that you just got there.

I would recommend that you focus on getting more familiar with the network setup/implementation and figure out what the business requirements are. Then evaluate what you have in place and how much is it going to cost the organization to upgrade the systems that need to be upgraded or replaced.

Back to your question about AD, you'll need to join that computer to the domain. First make sure that its IP configuration is correct. Its important that its client DNS settings are pointing the the DNS server(s) on that network.

Next, log in with an account that has local admin rights. Go to system properties, computer name tab and follow the prompts to join the computer to a domain. Type in the FQDN of the domain name, then when prompted use domain credentials that have rights to join computers to the domain.

Start with that and let us know how it went.
    JM @ IT Training & Consulting
    http://www.itgeared.com

Comment

Moved to Server 2003 forum

If you already have a domain and (presumably) other computers are connecting to it, I would start the troubleshooting with your computer.

What OS (exact version) is on it?
      How are you joining the computer to the domain?

Going back a step, is the PC networking configured to use the server for DNS?
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        This. Make sure your primary DNS server on your computer is set to the domain controller. I ran into that just today, having created my first domain in years.

Comment

If you already have a domain and (presumably) other computers are connecting to it, I would start the troubleshooting with your computer.

I have been trying to that since My first day. It keeps telling me that the dns server can't find my name.

What OS (exact version) is on it? All the computers in the domain have win7 pro
          How are you joining the computer to the domain? Yes I have been trying.

I don't think so. The thing is I change my computer name but I still can't see the network on my computer and I go to other PC's on the network they can see my Pc name on the network.

@JM I was thinking about doing that but I don't know what they have information wise. I have been trying to find out but the company CEO doesn't even know how his network is setup.
          I just found the other day that the companies email and domain name is setup thru network solutions and that is not the same name as the network LAN.
          So if I do rebuild the network hopefully that would nothing to do with the companies web site.
          And if I do should I want to know if i should make secondary zones for all the pc's in the network.
          And Could I make a new domain name and keep the old one up and just transfer the pc's over to my lan one by one.

Thank you guys for your time.
          Last edited by Imtryingtogetbetter; 14th August 2013, 13:37. Reason: Not enough detail about the topic.

Comment

Can you start by posting the output of an IPCONFIG/ALL from both a client with problems and from your domain controller -- obfusticate names if you want to but leave all the IP information
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The server information is

Ip-192.168.1.2
              subnet- 255.255.255.0
              gateway -192.168.1.1
              Dhcp- 192.168.1.1 Thats thru the router
              Dns- 192.168.1.7/192.168.1.1
              That is from the server.

From the work station is
              ip-192.168.1.32
              subnet-255.255.255.
              Dhcp- 192.168.1.1
              Dns- 192.168.1.7/192.168.1.1

I tried to flush and register the dns from the client and I can ping the server by fqdn. I made a user and computer in the dns server and I gave my self admin rights but I'm kind of stuck my teacher usually would just fix it and tell me flush and register. So I'm kind of lost If i were to just try and start over with the same domain up like make new users and make my own ip scheme would that help and I just register the computers with those ip addresses and just make secondary zones for all the pc's in the network.
              Last edited by Imtryingtogetbetter; 14th August 2013, 15:22.

Comment

Are you sure Active Directory is set up -- do you see "active directory users and computers" on the server (in Administrative Tools)?

Have you considered getting a consultant in?
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

1. It's not the company CEO's job or place to know how the network is set up. It's the job of the person he/she hires to manage the network to know.

2. By the looks of it, none of the computers and the Domain Controller are pointed at the Domain Controller for DNS. In addition, it looks like they're pointed to the router for DNS. There has to be a DNS server that holds the Active Directory related DNS zones and all of the clients (including the Domain Controller, need to point to that DNS server for DNS.

3. Is the Domain Controller also the DNS server and does it hold the AD related DNS zones? If so, then point all of the clients, including the Domain Controller, to the Domain Controller for DNS. If not, then point all of the clients, including the Domain Controller, to the correct DNS server.

4. NONE of the clients, including the Domain Controller, should point to the router for DNS. Not even for secondary DNS. If you'd like, you can have your AD DNS server use the router as a forwarding DNS server.

Comment

Yea it wasn't there but I had to add the snap-in and then I seen all the users and computers. I made a user then added my computer and gave my name admin rights and full control.
                    I haven't ask no one about the situation. I really wanted to do this alone but I knew I needed to ask some people that have experience in the field. I don't have any friends that are in the It field that can help.

Comment

Get a consultant. You need someone who will look at your network and fix it -- all we can do is give general advice because we don't have any access to see what is really happening

I would begin with your DC and get its DNS configured correctly, as well as setting up DHCP if not already done.

Clients should then pick up the correct network settings and a domain join should be easy.
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

1. It's not the company CEO's job or place to know how the network is set up. It's the job of the person he/she hires to manage the network to know.

I know that and that is my job but he should have some idea.

2. By the looks of it, none of the computers and the Domain Controller are pointed at the Domain Controller for DNS. In addition, it looks like they're pointed to the router for DNS. There has to be a DNS server that holds the Active Directory related DNS zones and all of the clients (including the Domain Controller, need to point to that DNS server for DNS.

I think it does because I just went into the router settings and I just put my computer name into the dns list.

3. Is the Domain Controller also the DNS server and does it hold the AD related DNS zones? If so, then point all of the clients, including the Domain Controller, to the Domain Controller for DNS. If not, then point all of the clients, including the Domain Controller, to the correct DNS server.

I was going to make secondary zones for all the client computers

4. NONE of the clients, including the Domain Controller, should point to the router for DNS. Not even for secondary DNS. If you'd like, you can have your AD DNS server use the router as a forwarding DNS server.

I think it is already because it has the same ip as the gateway. The server is 192.168.1.7 and the secondary is 192.168.1.1 same as the router. And all of the computer are pointing the 192.168.1.7 for dns.

Comment

Is the server on 192.168.1.2 the domain controller?

(and can you tell us what servers you have)

Forget anything about clients, secondary zones or anything else until the DC is sorted out
                          (oh, also say what roles are installed on it -- would like to see AD, DNS and DHCP, possibly WINS as well)

And why on earth should the CEO need to have any idea about the corporate network -- you may as well say you need flying lessons before you get on a commercial aircraft
                          Last edited by Ossian; 14th August 2013, 16:00.
                          Tom Jones
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

Comment

@Ossian- I'm just going to try and see what happens Thank you for taking your time and trying to help.

yes that one is the domain controller
                            And do you mean model wise ? If so it is a Dell power edge SC1430

There about 8 desktop. 7 of which have window 7. One is a MAC desktop
                            3 laptops
                            4 printers
                            Last edited by Imtryingtogetbetter; 14th August 2013, 16:03. Reason: I messed up

Comment

Do you have more than one server?

Can you confirm on 192.168.1.2 that you have active directory, DNS and DHCP installed (look in admin tools)?

If you have DNS, change your network configuration (on 192.168.1.2) to use 127.0.0.1 (local loopback address) as the DNS server and go into DNS forwarders and put in (temporarily) 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google DNS) then test server access to the internet is OK
                              Tom Jones
                              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                              IT Trainer / Consultant
                              Ossian Ltd
                              Scotland

Comment

Working...
                              X