No announcement yet.

Network neightborhood missing 2/3's of workstations

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network neightborhood missing 2/3's of workstations

I am having an issue with the network neighborhood with windows 7 machines on a server 2003 domain. It seems this all started when I re-organized our network rack.

We have about 20 PC's, 4 servers, 1 NAS. All PC's are windows 7. All win7 PC's can only see about 5-8 other win7 pc's in their network neighborhood. I can still access all PC's on our network.

We are not running a WINS server since we are a small office environment. If I look in the event viewer there is an event logged @ the time I reorganized our network rack. It is MRxSmb event id 8003.
    "The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer 'our nas' that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{6CFC7E37-6C0E-44. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced."

I have no idea why our NAS device would try to become the master browser. I have since checked the master browser and it has switched back to our 1 DC, but the issue persists. Computer browser is started on our DC. DNS 'a' records and 'ptr' records look correct and resolve correctly.

I have tried reading articles but have had no luck. What do i do?

Re: Network neightborhood missing 2/3's of workstations

IMO, who cares. Browsing Network Neighborhood/My Network Places has no bearing on network communication. If your users are browsing the network to find resources they need then you're doing it wrong. Give me one good reason you need this functionality.

No offense intended, but this is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned.