Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network Share hangs on Server

Hi,

In our Setup We using a File Server as Additional Domain Controller too (Win2k3 R2 32 Bit).

Sometime we cant access share folder of this server; whenever that time wee try to access it shows a Message "specified network name is no longer available". That We try to Ping this server it Gives Reply properly if we take Remote Desktop connection of this Server it gives Screen after very long. In Local access Server works fine.

Want to find out the reason why it is Happening, Antivirus is Disabled and checked issue still remains. All hardware test Passed successfully.

Please suggest.

Re: Network Share hangs on Server

I would start with some network troubleshooting:
    Logical:
    Network port configuration on server and switch (if managed switch)

Physical:
    damaged cables (replug or preferably replace both patch cables)
    reboot switch
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

As part of troubleshooting steps I would try to access that server by the IP address and if it works well for all type of access, the next step would be to check DNS/WINS settings.
      If accessing by the IP address is not stable as well, it is most likely the bad network connection/bad cable/bad port on the switch.

Comment

@ Ossian:
        We check all physical Network status, the switches and Patch Cords too; everything is fine.
        I was thinking Is this because of DC to ADC Connectivity or replication issue ? I want to check the Status the DC and ADC connectivity which tool will help for this ?

@Tank :
        Server can be accessed through name and IP too.

Comment

Why would replication be anything to do with it -- I presume from your original post you are accessing the share from a client
          Use repadmin to check replication (you may need to install it on Server 2003)

Also check your network drivers are updated
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
            Why would replication be anything to do with it -- I presume from your original post you are accessing the share from a client
            Use repadmin to check replication (you may need to install it on Server 2003)

Also check your network drivers are updated
            Yes you correct the issue is regarding Share resources gets not-Accessible. I thought the Hardware test is Passed so means It would be an issue of OS or AD for checking the same I asked about that.

Drivers and the firmware is updated with latest; and when the resources gets down I can ping the server.

Comment

Check the properties for your network adaptor on the 2003 server. How many adaptors do you have and how many are used? Disable any that are not used and disable Network Load Balancing if just one adaptor is in use. Reboot the server.

Document your settings before you make any changes so you can restore them in case it does not work.
              A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
              X