Server2003 Issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server2003 Issues

I have a server running Server 2003 SP1 and all of the latest updates. I use Brightstor 11.1 with all of the latest patches etc as my backup application. We recently installed MS SQL 2005 (the free version) to run our Startrack distribution application so I bought and installed the Brighstor 11.1 SQL agent to backup the SQL database. Upon installation of the SQL agent there was an error but the agent seemed to install OK. The server rebooted OK and when I tried to test the back of the SQL database I couldn't initialize the agent.

I unistalled the agent and rebooted the server. At the point where the server starts to load the Server2003 OS I got the blue screen of death so booted with the F8 option and chose the Last Known Good option. The server came up but when I logged in the none of the icons would work ie clicking on My Compter icon asks me to associate it with an executable. The apps in the Start Menu are not there, I cannot access control panel etc etc.

It seemed as if the whole profile was screwed so tried logging in as another user and exactly the same. The wierd thing is that all the network functionality is working ie access to shared drives, print queues, SQL back end etc.

In addition, the update client will no longer talk to the WUS server, the scheduled NT backup does not work.

I have attached a couple of the errors from Event Viewer.

Event ID 1090 (Source Userenv) - Windows couldn't log the RSoP (Resultant Set of Policies) session status. An attempt to connect to WMI failed. No more RSoP logging will be done for this application of policy.

Event ID 1 (Source VSS) - Volume Shadow Copy Service initialization error: the control dispatcher cannot be started [0x80070427].

Event ID 27 (Source Winmgmt) - WinMgmt could not open the repository file. This could be due to insufficient security access to the "<SystemRoot>\System32\WBEM\Repository", insufficient disk space or insufficient memory.

Event ID 4353 (Source Evgentsystem) - The COM+ Event System attempted to fire the EventObjectChange::ChangedSubscription event but received a bad return code. HRESULT was 80040201.

Event ID 10010 (Source DCOM) - The server {E579AB5F-1CC4-44B4-BED9-DE0991FF0623} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

I would really appreciate some guidance on this as I have trawled all of the usual knowledge bases and found very little to help me.

Thanks in anticipation!!

Re: Server2003 Issues

This server looks seriously hosed to me.

One thing you might try is to reinstall brightstore. If that doesn't help, reinstallation of the OS and restoring the data is probably the quickest fix.

Comment

If you recently made these purchases from Brightstore, I believe that you should have support from them. I would definatly research thier site and call them to see if this is a common issue with a known fix.

Comment

This issue is described in the following URL from CA and I ran into the same issue after uninstalling the 11.1 BrightStor Agent for SQL Server on a Windows Server 2003 system with SQL Server 2005 running.

http://supportconnect.ca.com/sc/solc...ut=0&prev=true

This won't the original post who experienced the problem, but maybe it'll help someone else...

Regards,

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by wkasdo View Post
          This server looks seriously hosed to me.

One thing you might try is to reinstall brightstore. If that doesn't help, reinstallation of the OS and restoring the data is probably the quickest fix.
          Willem, I hope you had an excellent Christmas and New Year. It is great to see you still drop by and haven't forgotten us. (Pssst, pass it on that we really do love the Evil Empire here. )

All the best for the new year. Chris and the rest of them, (you know who they are ).
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

It has been pointed out by someone with younger eyes, that my reply to Willem is based on a year old post. Ok, so I can't read, but the sentiments are still the same. Hope you still had a good one Willem.

Thanks also to Scott who took the trouble to post a solution that may help others in the future. It is appreciated Scott.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
            X