• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make a share with password protection

Hello, if got the folowing question:

Servers are windows 2000
    Workstations are a nice mix of w2k and xp pro
    I have a share where all the software is parked, at the moment this share is blockd for users, so when i want to install software i have to log out and in as admin.

What i want is a share just like the build in admin share of a local computer. if i open \\computername\c$ i get a login dialog box.

can i set a share like this on the server?

Hope someone can help me..

Grtz Jeff

map de share and manual enter the username and password..
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Yes i know that trix, thx anyway
      But is it bossible to make a own admin share.

Comment

Hi Subzero,
        The behaviour of the default admin share (\\computer\c$) depends on group membership. If you are a member of the local admins group it will not ask for a password.

You could set up share permissions and then use RUNAS to get to the share with a different user name and password.

Tom
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

right

Perfect answer, but I want to add about permissions, you have 2 kinds of permissions NTFS permissions and the share permissions and the result of them is the most restrictive.
          Best regards,
          Mostafa Itani

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X