Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DNS Empty - Can I force entries from another DNS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS Empty - Can I force entries from another DNS?

Hi,

Here's what went down. I have a 2003 Server DC (we will call REMOTE) that is connected via satellite to another DC(MASTER).
    The REMOTE server had a power bump and came back with an incorrect date/time. Off by 8 years or so

Now, when I look at the REMOTE servers DNS, which was once full of DNS goodness is empty. Nothing is there... Nothing in forward lookup zones. Nothing.

Is there a way to force the DNS from my MASTER DC into the REMOTE domain?

I've logged into the MASTER DC and opened up AD Sites and Services and under NTDS and did a 'Replicate Now'. I've waited patiently but still nothing on my REMOTE DC DNS.

Thanks in advance.

Re: DNS Empty - Can I force entries from another DNS?

Are the DNS zones in question AD integrated?

Comment

Yup, they are AD integrated.

Comment

My MASTER DC is replicating fine to the REMOTE DC according to replmon.
        If this is the case, shouldn't it be getting the DNS zones/settings its missing?

Comment

Run "repadmin /showrepl" from a command prompt. Check that the ForestDnsZones and DomainDnsZones AD application partitions show successful replication and that the timestamp matches the other AD partitions.

If repadmin looks OK you could try this:

1. On the main DC change the DNS zones to non-AD integrated. That will convert them to standard Primary zones on the main DC. Wait for replication to occur or force replication to make sure the zones have been removed from AD. Then change the zones back to AD integrated and force replication again and check the zones on the secondary DC.

If repadmin doesn't look OK then you're going to have to troubleshoot replication.

Comment

I would remove the DNS role from the REMOTE DC, then reinstall it. That should replicate the zone to it.
            Rules of life:
            1. Never do anything that requires thinking after 2:30 PM
            2. Simplicity is godliness
            3. Scale with extreme prejudice

I occasionally post using a savantphone, so please don't laugh too hard at the typos...

Comment

Thanks all for your help.

I decided to just demote and promote the remote domain controller. It's really dicey doing this operation because I have a slow connection (far far away using satellite) so often this procedure fails. In this instance it worked!

Thanks again for your help!

Comment

Working...
              X