Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blocking registry/task manager for specific users

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Blocking registry/task manager for specific users

    Hi,

    We have a windows 2003 server and we want to create few users with limited privileges. These normal users should not have acces to task manager , registry and should not be able to shutdown the server. I tried local group policy for disabling task manager from user confguration -> system, but this is applying to administrator account as well. Please help.


    Regards,
    Anishk

  • #2
    Re: Blocking registry/task manager for specific users

    Originally posted by Anishk View Post
    Hi,

    We have a windows 2003 server and we want to create few users with limited privileges. These normal users should not have acces to task manager , registry and should not be able to shutdown the server. I tried local group policy for disabling task manager from user confguration -> system, but this is applying to administrator account as well. Please help.


    Regards,
    Anishk
    Move your limited users to their own OU and apply the GPO to that.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Blocking registry/task manager for specific users

      Hi,

      The computer is not under domain. The polcies applied are in local group policy editor.

      Regards,
      Anish

      Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
      Move your limited users to their own OU and apply the GPO to that.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Blocking registry/task manager for specific users

        Server 2003, unlike later versions, only has one local policy, which applies to all users

        You could try setting custom permissions on the executables (REGEDIT, REGEDT32 etc.)
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Blocking registry/task manager for specific users

          Thanks Osian.


          Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          Server 2003, unlike later versions, only has one local policy, which applies to all users

          You could try setting custom permissions on the executables (REGEDIT, REGEDT32 etc.)

          Comment

          Working...
          X