Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSUS - "this computer has not reported status yet"

Hello,

I just did a successful installation of wsus .

I am able to see all the machines but the issue starts there

Each of the machine show this error " this computer has not reported status yet"

i have tried but hasnt manage to resolve this issue

kindly guide me on how i can resolve it

thx

Re: WSUS - "this computer has not reported status yet"

How often are they scheduled to check for updates? (one of the WSUS GPO settings)

Normally, just give it time...
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

i am not sure how often they are scheduled....have n't changed that setting yet...

i have realized some machines are reporting under installed/not applicable status - 99%..is this normal?

others are still showing the " this computer has not reported status yet"

Comment

You should look at your Group Polciy settings to make sure A) the clients are directed to your WSUS server, and B) what the time of day is set to for them to check in.

Look under Computer \ Administrative Templates \ Windows Components \ Windows Update. Read the descriptions and make settings changes as needed for your system. Pick a client, issue 'gpupdate /force' from a cmd prompt, then restart it. Once it's booted back up, you can force the client to check into WSUS with the command 'wuauclt /detectnow'. That command will appear to finish immediately, but it actually runs a process in the background. Give it something like 5 minutes, and if an Update icon doesn't appear in the System Tray next to the clock, have a look at the client's log files for WSUS. That text file is C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log. The newest entries are at the bottom. Any errors will be hilited as 'WARNING' in one of the columns. The Web abounds with descriptions and solutions for the various errors you may see.

Good hunting.
        *RicklesP*
        MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Hello

thanks..

how comes the computer status are showing 99% installed/not applicable status..

how can i make it reach 100%

the other issue am facing i am not able to see any computer running on windows xp.. i am only able to see machines running on windows 7

what could be the issue

Comment

You can open a report on an individual computer to see missing updates -- note there are some WSUS updates that WSUS wants to push to non-WSUS servers (it detects the client and "demands" the update) so 100% is not normally achievable.

Have no XP machines shown up at all? As long as the WSUS GPO applies to them, they should appear without issues.

Have you set up computer groups in WSUS?
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

yes have set up groups

servers,workstations,notebooks

is there something i can do to make sure that the xp machines are visible in the wsus..

Comment

for causes for the machine not picking up the WSUS server (plus do a GPResult to check the policy is applying to the machine) -- as I said, no technical reason they should not appear if they have picked up the GPO
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

thanks.. i will Google then..

check the attached image...

is this normal for the report to show not installed updates although i have approved the updates.

Comment

When I run a GPO results report it is saying that the policy has been debied because it is empty

i have set the gpo by right clicking the domain name on the DC ,then properties and group policy

how do i rectify this.. ?

Comment

when the XP machines are not checking in, have a look at C:\windows\windowsupdate.log - this will give you ample information to try to troubleshoot why it won't work
                      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by RicklesP View Post
                        You should look at your Group Polciy settings to make sure A) the clients are directed to your WSUS server, and B) what the time of day is set to for them to check in.

Look under Computer \ Administrative Templates \ Windows Components \ Windows Update. Read the descriptions and make settings changes as needed for your system. Pick a client, issue 'gpupdate /force' from a cmd prompt, then restart it. Once it's booted back up, you can force the client to check into WSUS with the command 'wuauclt /detectnow'. That command will appear to finish immediately, but it actually runs a process in the background. Give it something like 5 minutes, and if an Update icon doesn't appear in the System Tray next to the clock, have a look at the client's log files for WSUS. That text file is C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log. The newest entries are at the bottom. Any errors will be hilited as 'WARNING' in one of the columns. The Web abounds with descriptions and solutions for the various errors you may see.

Good hunting.
                        That did the trick! Thanks!

Comment

For the future, when I had have couple of problems with clients WSUS client diagnostic tool made wonders

Comment

recently did a wsus installation on a windows server 2012 standard, and its pretty straightforward .....compared to wins server 2003.

Comment

Working...
                            X