No announcement yet.

Strange NTFRS Behaviour

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange NTFRS Behaviour

Hi all,
    I have an 2003 Std domain. Recently i installed an Hyper-V server with a new 2008 Std server. I promote him to be dc. all worked fine for 2 month. Suddenly, 1 day all global catalog failed. When i ran DCDIAG i received the 1355 error saying that there is no GC in the domain. both the 2008 and 2003 sysvol folders disappeared. When i go in those folders they are empty beside a folder "NtFrs_PreExisting___See_EventLog" i was terrified. The operation master reside in the 2003 server. Suspecting that the new 2008 server was causing the trouble i shut it down. I restored from backup the 2003 system state, restarted. all worked fine for 5 minutes. Although that the 2008 server was down, the NTFRS still tried to take the replica from the 2008 server and corrupt it again. I had to restore system state again and shut the ntfrs service so all users can work. The 2003 server is trying to bring the replica from the corrupt 2008. I can i change that?

here the event that i recieve

The File Replication Service is having trouble enabling replication from NEW2008DC to OLD2003DC for c:\windows\sysvol\domain using the DNS name NEW2008DC.domain2.LOCAL. FRS will keep retrying.
    Following are some of the reasons you would see this warning.

[1] FRS can not correctly resolve the DNS name NEW2008DC.domain2.LOCAL from this computer.
    [2] FRS is not running on NEW2008DC.domain2.LOCAL.
    [3] The topology information in the Active Directory for this replica has not yet replicated to all the Domain Controllers.

This event log message will appear once per connection, After the problem is fixed you will see another event log message indicating that the connection has been established.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

What do you suggest. If you need other detail pls tell me

Thank you all