Server 2003 Repair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2003 Repair

Server 2003 repair, it gets to installing network and hangs at 32 minutes. Research the topic and find that it potentially could be the multiple NIC's and I need to disable the other, un-used, integrated NIC. I bounce the server, go into setup and disable it through the BIOS.

Reboot, the setup picks back up and I get a request to install an unsigned driver. I click Yes and the system moves to the 32 minute mark then reboots itself.

It's now stuck in this perpetual reboot. I've looked at Microsoft's site and the log file that they're telling me to find isn't there, which it wouldn't be because that log, pnplog.txt is only for hardware failures.

Anyway, I need this box up and running but I can't figure out how to get past the networking reboot. I'm thinking I may try disabling all the integrated NIC's because at this point, I'm spinning my wheels.

Any ideas?

By the way, there are no errors that I can find and nothing pops up to give me a solid starting ground for this.
    I'd rather check my Facebook than face my checkbook...

Thanks,
    Todd

Re: Server 2003 Repair

So basically the server is toast. It's a 2003 box that's out of warranty and to fix it right now will cost me $600 via Microsoft.

I started thinking about getting the files off rather than fixing the server. What I ended up doing was booting to the repair install and during setup pressing Shift and F10 which brings up the command line.

Once in CMD, I opened Task Manager. Once in task manager, I chose to start a new process and then clicked Browse. From there I was able to access My Computer and the drives attached to the server.

I had plugged in a 1TB USB drive but wasn't able to determine the drive letter. Once in My Computer, I found it.

I went back to the command line, switched to my F drive (where my critical data was/is) and simply did this: xcopy /s f:\*.* I:\ and my files are moving. Once they're completely moved, I'll dump them on my new VS that I created to take the old 2003 box's place.

This may not impress anyone but for me, I'm pretty freakin excited!

Thanks,
    Todd

Comment

I'm suitably impressed
      You've taken a serious problem, attempted and failed to solve it, then found and implemented an alternative solution without panic or fuss. Have a very well deserved

I would have pulled the drive and copied it onto another PC, but your solution has elegance.
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        I'm suitably impressed
        You've taken a serious problem, attempted and failed to solve it, then found and implemented an alternative solution without panic or fuss. Have a very well deserved

I would have pulled the drive and copied it onto another PC, but your solution has elegance.
        I did kind of take the scenic route to get my data back. The main reason for this is that I didn't want to break the RAID by pulling the drives.

All in all it has been a learning experience!

Thanks,
        Todd

Comment

Working...
        X